Official Community Forums

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  The Wiki  Website  github Project  

Share | 

Using Voxels for Terrain

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ripsnorta

PostSubject: Using Voxels for Terrain   Mon 13 Feb - 15:26

I'm currently downloading the source so I haven't been able to check but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I know Multiverse uses a heightmap for its terrain, however I need to use a voxel based system. What would be involved in replacing the heightmap with a voxelmap?
Back to top Go down
Delurin
Head of Platform Development

PostSubject: Re: Using Voxels for Terrain   Tue 14 Feb - 9:59

Currently there is a good amount of programming that relies on the terrain being a heightmap.
Off the top of my head I would say that you would need to modify the World Editor (assuming you want to put objects visually in your world)
The game client in particular:
The collisionlib
The pathing algorithms
both of which if the player/mob is supposed to follow the terrain are set to the given height. You might be able to simplify things by changing the GetTerrainHeight function but I am not sure.
The multiverse scene manager
You might need to modify the game server as well:
I know that the regions do not factor in height only xz coordinates so if you wanted regions on top of regions they would have to be changed. I am not sure if the Reaction/Perception radius goes with just the xz coordinates or not if it does you would probably need to change that as well.
Probably some other things that I am not thinking of at the moment. It would not be easy.
Out of curiosity what is your intended goal?
Back to top Go down
Ripsnorta

PostSubject: Re: Using Voxels for Terrain   Tue 14 Feb - 15:35

The goal? Not Minecraft Smile although I have been looking at MC for ideas on how to store huge voxel maps.

The idea is for users to be able to modify by mining, terraforming, and other activities the game world, in a similar manner to Wurm Online. Wurm however is limited in that it uses a layered heightmap which precludes deep tunneling. I guess there is some Minecraft influence in there in that players should be able to dig out a dungeon, but it won't have the look or feel of MC. Each point has mass which produces a certain amount of material when 'mined' which means that some materials will take a lot to mine out, while others won't. It also gives a finer granularity to the final size and shape of the voxel when rendered too.

It's really just a concept in progress at the moment, not much in the way of planning done yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using Voxels for Terrain   

Back to top Go down

Using Voxels for Terrain
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1