Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Community Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  The Wiki  Website  github Project  

Howdy and Hello

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Xangis
Foundation Developer
Xangis

Howdy and Hello Empty
PostSubject: Howdy and Hello   Howdy and Hello EmptyThu 19 Apr - 17:27

I'm a code monkey. I'm very good with C++ and C#, good with Python, and can get by in JavaScript. Windows is my specialty, but I also do well developing on Linux.

At the day job I write client-server code for a cloud-based web browser. I work across the hall from where the Multiverse offices were in Mountain View, though I was interested in Multiverse before we were in the same building. I bought one of the old desktops from Bill Turpin when he was closing the office down. Great deal on a bunch of graphics software that's a version or two old, now if I could only buy the time to learn to use it well. Smile

In the past I've built audio and networking software including virtual musical instruments, led a development team in the home automation industry, and did some work on simulation systems for the DoD, mainly audio and networking code. I also spent a few years writing and running MUDs. Only one anyone might have heard of was Basternae II.

So far I'm just here to tinker. There's something I'd like to build, a small PvP-only MMO, but it will require a budget in the high-five-figure range for the 3D modeling work. Maybe it'll happen if my day job IPOs or is acquired, but no guarantees. Until then I'll just play, learn, and maybe build a bit of the foundation for the project. If you need any help with code I'd best be able to contribute to the world building tools, but can't say how much time I have to spend what with the day job and other hobbies like composing music competing for time.

Either way, I hope this project grows and thrives.
Back to top Go down
http://zetacentauri.com
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

Howdy and Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy and Hello   Howdy and Hello EmptySun 22 Apr - 0:31

Hello Xangis,

Welcome to the Multiverse Community!

And thanks again for your donation Smile

You clearly have a good range of experience, which is great. I also noticed the custom installer tutorial you wrote - thank you for that.
I'm also rather interested in the home automation industry - the idea of having a house run by an AI system just really appeals to me Shocked

With regards to the 3D side of things - one thing I'm working on is the Developer Marketplace, which will be a Multiverse version of TurboSquid. All the content will be ready to put straight into your projects, in the correct formats and so on. So hopefully you won't need a five-figure modelling budget!

Lastly, if you're interested in working on the Platform source code with things like bug-squashing and feature additions, we'd appreciate your help, especially given your experience with C# and Python Smile

Tristan
Back to top Go down
http://www.3dmodeller.info
Xangis
Foundation Developer
Xangis

Howdy and Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy and Hello   Howdy and Hello EmptyThu 26 Apr - 18:28

A lot of things in the home automation industry are surprisingly un-advanced with very little or no AI involved, just scripting for most things. Quite a bit of what they're doing is with technology from 15 years ago. A large percentage of devices still use RS232 serial ports. Still, it was a lot of fun and I did get to play with a lot of expensive toys.

I'm quite a bit better with C# than Python, so that's where I'd tend to tinker the most. I think I'd enjoy contributing some improvements and fixes to the world building tools (terrain editor, world editor, import tools, etc.) I recall there were a bunch of bugs and crashes with those posted on the old Multiverse forum and I'm not sure whether anyone has looked into them all yet.
Back to top Go down
Xangis
Foundation Developer
Xangis

Howdy and Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy and Hello   Howdy and Hello EmptySun 19 Aug - 5:32

Howdy again. I'm back after being out of commission for a while orchestrating a long-distance move. Now that I'm settled in my new place and done with all the packing/unpacking rigamarole I have time to spend tinkering with MV again. Smile
Back to top Go down

Howdy and Hello Empty
PostSubject: Hey   Howdy and Hello EmptySun 19 Aug - 14:32

Welcome Back Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Howdy and Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy and Hello   Howdy and Hello Empty

Back to top Go down

Howdy and Hello
Page 1 of 1