Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Community Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  The Wiki  Website  github Project  

Creating Factions

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

Creating Factions Empty
PostSubject: Creating Factions   Creating Factions EmptyMon 15 Aug - 8:13

Does anyone know an easy way to create factions? I've read the tutorial on the Wiki, but it's outdated, and in some cases incorrect.
I only say it's incorrect because it tells you to select an MV folder in Eclipse that doesn't actually contain the files it says it does....very annoying.

Could someone who knows what they're doing (e.g. delurin Wink ) possibly either go on there and update the tutorial, or just rewirte it according to your own experience? for me, it's a fairly crucial part of the game, and not being able to even begin coding it is incredibly limiting. Once I get that cracked, I can move on to more important stuff bounce

Cheers

Tristan
Back to top Go down
http://www.3dmodeller.info
Delurin
Head of Platform Development

Creating Factions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creating Factions   Creating Factions EmptyWed 17 Aug - 5:10

I took a look at the faction system and there werent any glaring problems that I could see I am not sure what folder you are talking about in eclipse. You should be creating your own package to handle all of the new code so if it is not there they probably want you to create it.

If I have some time I might rewrite the code what would you want the faction code to do?
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

Creating Factions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creating Factions   Creating Factions EmptyWed 17 Aug - 6:27

Well, the main issue I had with creating the plugin was the settting up of the Development Environment. The relevant tutorial gives a list of instructions to set up the environment (in the Setting Up Eclipse section), but they aren't correct, as they say this:

Quote :

4. Select "Create Project from Existing Source", click Browse.
5. Browse to the "src" folder inside your Multiverse directory and select it.
6. Go to Project > Properties > Java Build Path, click on the Libraries tab and add external JARs
7. Select multiverse.jar from the MV_HOME/dist/lib folder.

The 'Create Project from Existing Source' option no longer exists, and I saw that a few people asked about a similar issue on the Eclipse forums. Responses to the threads give the distinct impression that you cannot do this anymore, but might be reintroduced in a future version.

I understand that I need to create my own package, but the impression I get from the Wiki is that the package kind of needs to be created off the back of the existing source code. Perhaps I'm wrong in my assumption - I hope I am, as that would lift a significant barrier, I must say!

If you could rewrite the code, that would be brilliant. But what do you mean by what I want to faction code to do?
Regardless of what the question means, here's a brief outline of what role factions will play in TGOR:

Each player will automatically be in the Roman faction (the overall name of the faction needs to be decided - I'm in the process of reading lots of weighty history books at the moment, so will be able to decide that later on.)
The other factions will be the various nations/tribes featured in Roman history, for example the Gauls, Britons, Germanians, Dacians, Carthaginians, Numidians, Iberians and plenty more. to be honest, most of the factions on this page. Admittedly I will be using the Rome Total War series for a lot of my research - this is because a lot of their content is historically accurate, so I may as well use it to my advantage.

The player will only be able to be Roman (whether I split into Houses like in RTW, I don't know, but it could create some more diversity..), but later on in development I might create some kind of addon where you can be any faction. But that's in the far future, and I don't even know if TGOR will get past version 1 yet!

The system will be fairly straightforward, with some added additions. Players who annoy other faction NPCs will cause a drop in popularity, and any attack on a settlement belonging to another faction will result in a state of war. If another faction's NPC is killed in a state of peace, relations between the two factions will deteriorate significantly, and all Roman players will see the effect of this, with all NPCs from the faction being generally negative towards them.

To be honest, it's a straightforward Faction system, no different to any other one. Or at least, I don't think so anyway!

How difficult would that be to code, do you think?
I probably need to start learning Java at some point anyway alien
Back to top Go down
Delurin
Head of Platform Development

Creating Factions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creating Factions   Creating Factions EmptyWed 17 Aug - 9:15

Technically you do not need to build off the existing code but if you want to make changes to their code you will need it
You should be able to just do step 6 and 7 if you want to make your own code.

You might also be able to unzip the mars.jar into a project directory
I think the build_mars.xml is an ant script so you might be able to import it into eclipse using that
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

Creating Factions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creating Factions   Creating Factions EmptyTue 23 Aug - 7:26

Right, I've tried to have a go with it again, but the tutorial doesn't really explain anything in the beginning, so it's difficult to proceed.

I do wish they made the addition of factions an easy thing to do with the platform...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Creating Factions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creating Factions   Creating Factions Empty

Back to top Go down

Creating Factions
Page 1 of 1