Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Community Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  The Wiki  Website  github Project  

Nevermind I'm done with this...........

Go down 
+2
GabriëL*KnighT
AthlonJedi
6 posters
AuthorMessage
AthlonJedi
Administrator
Administrator
AthlonJedi

Nevermind I'm done with this........... Empty
PostSubject: Nevermind I'm done with this...........   Nevermind I'm done with this........... EmptySun 5 Aug - 7:06

To all that may have attempted to help with this I thank you.

I am done fooling around with this crap system, In the years I have spent off and on with multiverse I have only gotten it to successfuly run one time EVER. There is a reason the original Multiverse network could not find funding. That reason is blaringly obvious.

1. Axiom while pretty decent is way outdated and needs alot of work to bring it up to todays standards.

2. Instead of focusing on current platforms , most of you are worried about trying to run this on windows XP? Good luck with that in an accual production environment. Not gonna happen.

3. Getting a master server running on any OS that is substantial enough to handle 1000's of connections at a time with out choking is next to impossible ( yea yea, there are ubuntu instructions but that is NOT a server oriented distro of linux, Ubuntu is just basicly mandrake reborn )

4. People that do somehow manage to get this running dont take into account that while it may work on your setup, not everyone has the same identical setup you do. Just becuse it works on your system(s) does not mean it will on anyone elses.

SO to all I say goodbye, Thanks for the effort , but its time to move on and let multiverse die.
Back to top Go down
GabriëL*KnighT
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
GabriëL*KnighT

PostSubject: Re: Nevermind I'm done with this...........   Nevermind I'm done with this........... EmptySun 5 Aug - 8:44

Hi,

I'm sorry you could not get it to work. I can honestly say that I didn't experience setting up Multiverse that bad at all. Sure, the server didn't start correctly the first time. After my forum post, I got it fixed quickly. My client didn't run correctly the first time, but it was all my fault.

Today I have modelled, textured and imported assets with amazing ease. I have learned much about how Multiverse works and I really like it!

I'm currently having a blast learning multiverse.
Back to top Go down
SnakeMaster
SnakeMaster

PostSubject: Re: Nevermind I'm done with this...........   Nevermind I'm done with this........... EmptySun 5 Aug - 9:05

GabriëL*KnighT wrote:
Hi,

I'm sorry you could not get it to work. I can honestly say that I didn't experience setting up Multiverse that bad at all. Sure, the server didn't start correctly the first time. After my forum post, I got it fixed quickly. My client didn't run correctly the first time, but it was all my fault.

Today I have modelled, textured and imported assets with amazing ease. I have learned much about how Multiverse works and I really like it!

I'm currently having a blast learning multiverse.

Thats not really correct. Athlon is right in a fact people aka the developers should try to run the MV on other Systems. For example on my PC Windows 7 the client aint running still and i can't move on till someone helps. Is there any support? Yes but not always and thats what i mean people should work togheter in this community. Thats why i brang up the idea with the IRC. Did anyone comment on that? No reply in anyway.

AthlonJedi wrote:
To all that may have attempted to help with this I thank you.

I am done fooling around with this crap system, In the years I have spent off and on with multiverse I have only gotten it to successfuly run one time EVER. There is a reason the original Multiverse network could not find funding. That reason is blaringly obvious.

1. Axiom while pretty decent is way outdated and needs alot of work to bring it up to todays standards.

2. Instead of focusing on current platforms , most of you are worried about trying to run this on windows XP? Good luck with that in an accual production environment. Not gonna happen.

3. Getting a master server running on any OS that is substantial enough to handle 1000's of connections at a time with out choking is next to impossible ( yea yea, there are ubuntu instructions but that is NOT a server oriented distro of linux, Ubuntu is just basicly mandrake reborn )

4. People that do somehow manage to get this running dont take into account that while it may work on your setup, not everyone has the same identical setup you do. Just becuse it works on your system(s) does not mean it will on anyone elses.

SO to all I say goodbye, Thanks for the effort , but its time to move on and let multiverse die.

And for Athlon if you wish to develop this engine. You have o have nerve and it shouldn't stress you out. Yes maybe Bugs and errors are irritating. But see im a IT apprentice and i seen so many errors that i just don't realy see much use in getting made at it. Theres always a way to over come this error. I joined this community to help build up this Engine to be as good as maybe UDK or Cryengine. Well maybe not so good but its a Milestone. And if your realy not up for the challenge you should probably think on changing to the hero engine or maybe the UDK or Cryengine. Since you may just wanna create a game with not so much effort.
Back to top Go down
CobaltBlues
CobaltBlues

PostSubject: Re: Nevermind I'm done with this...........   Nevermind I'm done with this........... EmptySun 5 Aug - 13:28

Could both of you send a private message to me regarding your particular problems.

It took me a solid weekend to get the regular server and master server running. It took about the same amount of time for the client. I have found that getting started is quite complicated.

The long term vision is doing away with .bat files and .sh scripts and putting everything in its own start up program with full configuration, start/stop capabilities, server provisioning and deployment etc. Kind of a "Server Manager" and a "Client IDE". However, that will be a long time in coming.
Back to top Go down
http://www.multiversemmo.com
CobaltBlues
CobaltBlues

PostSubject: Re: Nevermind I'm done with this...........   Nevermind I'm done with this........... EmptySun 5 Aug - 14:12

It would be true that running Multiverse server on XP or even Windows 7 in a production setting is probably not the best idea. However, most people will be testing/developing things on their local clients on XP/Vista/7 so the servers need to all work on these systems. One of the annoying problems with running the servers on Windows machines is the batch file differences between windows version. Also system variables like those used in the startup batch files have a variety of nuances that make running them a bit interesting.

For example; If you start the standard servers "start-multiverse" in a command line session, then also in the same session, try to start the master server "start-master" the variables may have problems because .... they are persisted within the same session. This means that when you run the first batch file the variables get set. Then when you run the second batch file the values are reused from the previous batch file. This can be fine in many cases but can pose problems depending on how things are run.

The fix for this particular issue I mention is to modify the start-master.bat file so it uses unique variables. I am doing this now in the SVN version and it will be included in the next minor version release.

In addition certain commands in the batch files are slightly different depending on your windows version. To alleviate this problem I found a winver.bat file that can determine exactly what version of windows you are using. Then within the startup batch files there will be IF statements to execute the appropriate command for that particular Windows version.

Basically this all leads to a much more robust start up routine for the servers using the batch file method. All the while working on a better design and approach to this whole start up issue.

Architect Toolset:

1. Environments: Dev, Test, Production, etc
  2. Deployments: Easily provision a new world manager, mob server, etc. This would include an automated push install and configuration of said server module
  3. Administration: Easily see your entire Multiverse infrastructure from a single console. Allow you to modify configurations of any module or server. Start/Stop/Configure
  4. Pipeline Manager: Manage your work pipeline pushing assets and configuration changes through the configured environments
  5. Performance Monitors: Monitor performance of all server modules
  6. Analysis: Collect and analyze player activity within your world so you can better understand how people are playing your game/virtual world and thus make better decisions on future direction.
  7. World IDE: Create/edit your world from within the client
  8. And many other useful tools that I cannot bring to mind right now

Essentially, I feel the pain everyone is experiencing because I went through it as well. There were many times that I wanted to throw in the towel with Multiverse but I eventually worked through the challenges. There are ideas and future plans to resolve these headaches.

Thanks,
Shane
Back to top Go down
CobaltBlues
CobaltBlues

PostSubject: Re: Nevermind I'm done with this...........   Nevermind I'm done with this........... EmptySun 5 Aug - 14:17

I am also looking into setup our own IRC server. If anyone has recommendations for the best publicly available IRC daemon that runs on Linux please let me know. I'd prefer to go with a mainstream distribution.

Shane
Back to top Go down
AthlonJedi
Administrator
Administrator
AthlonJedi

PostSubject: Re: Nevermind I'm done with this...........   Nevermind I'm done with this........... EmptySun 5 Aug - 15:37

Seriously?

I have even gone so far as to post screenshots of the system in both startup modes with the resulting errors , posted all logs that had errors in them, made every singe change posted in this forum, setup and resetup and resetup again with JDK 5-7 .............. what else is there?

dont get me wrong, I cut my teeth on the 1.3 version back in the day after using the "torque mmo kit" ( see Minions of Mirth ) and from what I have seen, hardly anything has changed since Version 1.2 as far as the installation and startup of the system, it was a PITA then and remains a PITA lol

Its not that I want a ready made solution like hero cloud or cryengine , Thats mostly just modding a pre-existing system to suit your needs than it is acculy creating something ( yes I know we dont have to write the servers and backend with multiverse either BUT you can RE-Write it if needbe )

IDK , maybe in a few days after leaving it alone for awhile Ill jump back into it but I truly am at witts end for the forseeable future.
Back to top Go down
Xangis
Foundation Developer
Xangis

PostSubject: Re: Nevermind I'm done with this...........   Nevermind I'm done with this........... EmptyWed 22 Aug - 16:12

AthlonJedi wrote:

Ubuntu has a server-oriented distro, Ubuntu Server, which has hundreds of thousands of production servers in use by real companies and is being deployed on servers more frequently than any other distro right now. It has pretty much replaced CentOS in most places. It's not so much Mandrake reborn, but rather Debian reborn, and can handle load very well.

A master server on a properly configured cheap 1GB Ubuntu Server VPS should easily handle 1000 simultaneous connections, and spending real money on hardware should get you 10,000 without trouble.
Back to top Go down
http://zetacentauri.com
Agamemnon
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Agamemnon

PostSubject: Re: Nevermind I'm done with this...........   Nevermind I'm done with this........... EmptyTue 18 Sep - 3:56

Just wanted to add to the converstation (I know it's a bit dated, sorry). We/I used multiple Ubuntu server boxes with Force of Arms when we were with MV. Our asset webserver was a cloud ubuntu 1gb box, it was highly capable of doing 1000's of connections. The main MV production server was also a little beefier Ubuntu server cloud box (about $70 a month). The offline test and integration boxes were also ubuntu servers and held the internal assets before manifest builds to production as well as new systems integration, new quests, new models and other content etc. These actually had about 4-5 copies of all of our assets at once in various test forms that we could internally direct clients to for testing. Personally I like ubuntu, it's a pretty stable flavor and seems to do the trick and is very easy to keep updated (security wise).

For clients we ran a mix of 7, xp and 1 vista box on laptops and workstations. I also tried hosting a linux vm windows base system with it but it didn't work quite right it had a lot of issues.
Back to top Go down
Xangis
Foundation Developer
Xangis

PostSubject: Re: Nevermind I'm done with this...........   Nevermind I'm done with this........... EmptyTue 18 Sep - 4:26

Thank you for adding that bit of data. Good real-world picture. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://zetacentauri.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nevermind I'm done with this...........   Nevermind I'm done with this........... Empty

Back to top Go down

Nevermind I'm done with this...........
Page 1 of 1