Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Community Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  The Wiki  Website  github Project  

Online Help tutorial

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
tichfuie
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
tichfuie

Online Help tutorial Empty
PostSubject: Online Help tutorial   Online Help tutorial EmptyTue 19 Mar - 14:46

been following the Implementing Online Help tutorial
http://www.multiversemmo.com/site/w/index.php/Implementing_Online_Help
and have a couple
of questions:

1- the tutorial mentions this tutorial shows online help, so i assume we can display html url which one can mod online?
or just the hardcoded dialog text we implement in the xml gui file?

2- this gui can be called ingame by keybindings f11, also it displays automatically on client startup.
Q: where is the actual code that triggers the automated display of the gui on client startup?
Back to top Go down
rotello
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
rotello

PostSubject: Re: Online Help tutorial   Online Help tutorial EmptyWed 20 Mar - 10:44

I have not tried this yet but are you using mv_fantasy as your world? Can you post some pics?
Back to top Go down
tichfuie
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
tichfuie

PostSubject: Re: Online Help tutorial   Online Help tutorial EmptyWed 20 Mar - 11:42

no, i am using sampleworld.

i just followed the online help tutorial from the above mentioned link and it works.

but do not know exactly what triggers the gui on client startup, looked at all the code for references, c# client, sampleworld script files, client and server.
main client script files in program files/ dir etc...

but no luck finding trigger

this is the drawback of MV , that code is everywhere, lol.

program files/, client python, world server python, client c# and server java core and mars.

and 3 programming languages

so exhausting you feel lost, lol
Back to top Go down
rotello
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
rotello

PostSubject: Re: Online Help tutorial   Online Help tutorial EmptyWed 20 Mar - 12:25

If you read closely the doc says: Multiverse Fantasy Demo World contains an example of an online help screen that appears when you first log in, and whenever you press F11. Maybe you should check it out. Looks like it has more features than sampleworld.

RE: code structure, yes I know it is kind of messy but luckily I'm getting a hang of it. AFAIK, the server part is java code and you can use some python to try new things out or make changes. To speed up the code a little bit you need to convert it to java equivalent which I don't have any clue yet. As for the client, it's only python code (Client API) unless you need to make some huge changes and recompile the client engine in C#. GUI: python and XML. That's it Smile
Back to top Go down
tichfuie
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
tichfuie

PostSubject: Re: Online Help tutorial   Online Help tutorial EmptyWed 20 Mar - 13:16

If you are fluent in C# then i suppose all can be coded in the C# client, instead of python?

I just wish the C# client were more secure, i mean some sort of encoder for it.

C# is way easy to decompile, there are even apps that automatically does it for you by pushing a button, therefore client is pretty open for hacks.

and as for the client python scripting, i assume the client can read the compiled pyc?
i mean for production?

i havent got to that part yet
Back to top Go down
rotello
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
rotello

PostSubject: Re: Online Help tutorial   Online Help tutorial EmptyWed 20 Mar - 13:31

Quote :
If you are fluent in C# then i suppose all can be coded in the C# client, instead of python? I just wish the C# client were more secure, i mean some sort of encoder for it.

Yes, I guess that's it. I know there's one encoder tool for C# which is Dotfuscator (community edition):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dotfuscator

I think it comes with the full Visual Studio 2010/2012 Suite.

http://www.preemptive.com/products/dotfuscator/compare-editions

More obsfucator reference here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/506282/protect-net-code-from-reverse-engineering
Back to top Go down
Agamemnon
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Agamemnon

PostSubject: Re: Online Help tutorial   Online Help tutorial EmptySat 23 Mar - 4:19

tichfuie wrote:
been following the Implementing Online Help tutorial
http://www.multiversemmo.com/site/w/index.php/Implementing_Online_Help
and have a couple
of questions:

1- the tutorial mentions this tutorial shows online help, so i assume we can display html url which one can mod online?
or just the hardcoded dialog text we implement in the xml gui file?

2- this gui can be called ingame by keybindings f11, also it displays automatically on client startup.
Q: where is the actual code that triggers the automated display of the gui on client startup?

Bindings.xmlThe following <Binding> tag calls the SocialHelp.Show() method when the HELP command is invoked.

<Binding name="HELP" header="ACTIONS">
SocialHelp.Show()
</Binding>
The Show() method is a predefined method for Region widgets that displays the widget.

Your answer is in the link you first provided...you can remove the binding, customize the binding etc to suit your needs. You can also bring up a help file (webpage) on screen load while the client is intializing but that is a different area.

Following these methods:

Displaying web pages The Multiverse Client can display a web page in three different ways:

In a texture, using the same techinque as described for a video in this article. The Client will render a web page on the surface of a 3D object in perspective. You cannot interact with web pages displayed in this manner. See Displaying a web page in a texture.
In an external browser window, launched by a Client event such as a button click. See Displaying a web page in an external browser window.
In a Browser UI widget. This will be a 2D user interface element that the Client displays "on top" of the 3D world. Such an widget is not occluded by objects in the world. You can show or hide it based on client events, such as a button click. See Displaying a web page in a UI widget.

http://www.multiversemmo.com/site/w/index.php/Displaying_In-World_Video_and_Web_Pages
Back to top Go down
tichfuie
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
tichfuie

PostSubject: Re: Online Help tutorial   Online Help tutorial EmptySat 23 Mar - 5:26

thanks bro,

i noticed the key bindings.
so the user can open the window frame by using F11. as per the keybinding, that i am aware of.

but, the C# client on startup it automatically opens up the onlinehelp window frame gui by default.
and cant find the code that triggers this auto load of the gui frame.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Online Help tutorial   Online Help tutorial Empty

Back to top Go down

Online Help tutorial
Page 1 of 1