Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Community Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  The Wiki  Website  github Project  

Crafting plugin

Go down 
+2
Delurin
neckro
6 posters
AuthorMessage
neckro
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptySat 8 Oct - 8:30

Anyone have some tutorials about crafting ? I looking especially for a drilling / mining script.
Back to top Go down
Delurin
Head of Platform Development

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptySat 22 Oct - 7:13

I dont think anyone has really implemented a crafting plugin..currently the closest would be to setup a make item item that specifies what reagents are required in order to use the item and then it removes those items from the player inventory.

it seems more like you are looking for a way to loot items you can look at a tutorial i wrote a while back about it:
http://update.multiverse.net/wiki/index.php/Creating_Pickup-able_Objects

but you might need to add a check that a player has an appropriate item

Then you would also need to make what they click on die ( if you are going with WoW style mining) and have a spawn generator setup to spawn a new resource
Back to top Go down
neckro
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptyWed 26 Oct - 6:34

thanks mate i look on it.
Back to top Go down
Louis Blackblood
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Louis Blackblood

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptySat 13 Apr - 10:40

I am currently looking into starting on a crafting plugin, I believe that a good backbone to any MMO is a player driven economy, and its kind of hard to have one without crafters! Ill start with something small and post it up when i have most of the buggyness worked out....

ofc..

I am making all the models and skinning them myself, so in theory it could take me a bit Razz
Back to top Go down
tichfuie
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
tichfuie

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptySat 13 Apr - 11:03

nice,

i was also thinking about this too.

mostly to first implement player economy system, so player can have or farm his own gold by acquiring valuable items from world ie:
by killing mobs and looting them, picking up items, mining, etc... , then having a merchant system to trade those items for gold, to then purchase other items and so on.

https://multiverse.forumotion.co.uk/t445-ingamne-economy-system

I just really wish i could be fluent in java to write something myself now, but eventually will get there sooner or later, so i guess i need to get down and dirty with the existing examples to speed up the learning experience.
Back to top Go down
Louis Blackblood
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Louis Blackblood

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptySat 13 Apr - 11:10

Yeah, Im pretty new to Java and Python, both are pretty new to me, but with me in school taking classes for exactly that including MySQL and everything essentially for a project like this hopefully I can work my way into it slowly Smile

I can always look to the crafting system from my UO servers and see how I could duct tape it on lol
Back to top Go down
Delurin
Head of Platform Development

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptySat 13 Apr - 12:01

Out of curiosity how complex a crafting system are you envisioning? I believe there is a rudimentary structure for one in Mars where you have reagents required to build specific object and require a scroll to build.
Back to top Go down
Louis Blackblood
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Louis Blackblood

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptySat 13 Apr - 14:06

Quote :
Out of curiosity how complex a crafting system are you envisioning?

Honestly Im wanting to start small of course, adding basic 2 items=1 superior item. Eventually wanting to make a rather complex crafting system calling for multiple "crafted" items or raw materials to make more and more advanced items.

Im shooting for a sci-fi MMO with some features such as a Anarchy Online type leveling system, "the secret world" type skill system, and an eve like crafting system. Should be lots of fun!
Back to top Go down
Tattiana Talahandra
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Tattiana Talahandra

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptySat 13 Apr - 14:36

All week long while my students have been studying, I have been at the podium with a small notebook writing out several ideas for a crafting system.

Its very rudimentary but I'm sure you guys with the coding and the experience could come up with something.

What would be ideal is fishing, mining, cooking, brewing, smithing, farming, woodsmith, spellcraft in a fantasy setting. I have a few more to the list but the flowchart i was coming up with requires a person to:
--- be near a crafting device (table,stove, water for fishing, dirt plot for farming)
--- have necessary ingredients in inventory (knife + wood, bowl + meat, ....etc)
--- write a script to detect if person has met the above requirements
--- give person finished product if requirements are met

the system could be made tougher if added in skill points for exp level or more components for tougher crafted projects.

I have a lot more specifics written down but it would require a lot more typing and probably a lot more heckling from the audience.
Back to top Go down
Louis Blackblood
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Louis Blackblood

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptySun 14 Apr - 6:46

Tattiana Talahandra wrote:
All week long while my students have been studying, I have been at the podium with a small notebook writing out several ideas for a crafting system.

Its very rudimentary but I'm sure you guys with the coding and the experience could come up with something.

What would be ideal is fishing, mining, cooking, brewing, smithing, farming, woodsmith, spellcraft in a fantasy setting. I have a few more to the list but the flowchart i was coming up with requires a person to:
--- be near a crafting device (table,stove, water for fishing, dirt plot for farming)
--- have necessary ingredients in inventory (knife + wood, bowl + meat, ....etc)
--- write a script to detect if person has met the above requirements
--- give person finished product if requirements are met

the system could be made tougher if added in skill points for exp level or more components for tougher crafted projects.

I have a lot more specifics written down but it would require a lot more typing and probably a lot more heckling from the audience.

This is basically all right. Looking through the custom crafting system we had worked out for our UO server pretty much is identical in the basic aspects.

Take Anarchy Online for instance, (I did A LOT of grinding just to get enough of the base armor sets to be able to craft Razz)

You go on 5 different questlines, they are static quests so no pulling from a pool of kill, goto, ect
From those 5 quests you receive 5 different pieces of armor- Basic armor set.

Now with these pieces of armor you could (depending on the expansion you had) Use it to create certain types of Alien Armor

The materials needed for the Alien Armor were exclusively looted from mobs found in Alien Invasion towns
Each Item had a quality level, the quality level of the base item had to match the quality level of the item used to upgrade it.

This is just a small example. Im more used to crafting components to craft components to craft more components then eventually craft something of real value Razz
Back to top Go down
Tattiana Talahandra
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Tattiana Talahandra

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptySun 14 Apr - 7:46

Me too Louis :')

What I laid out is a basic plan since most of us are trying to get used to the MV platform. I loved systems like you were describing where you can make components and then more complex components for the higher quality crafted pieces.

In Activeworlds, there was one programmer that had a great concept to his crafting system relying on factions to produce certain components. This made the players have to socialize and interact with other players in order to get their components to make bigger and better things. Like the elves were the faction that could chop and make components out of wood while the dwarves were the faction for things like iron or stone. You needed elements from both in order to make a sword or an ax :')

Back to top Go down
Louis Blackblood
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Louis Blackblood

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptySun 14 Apr - 8:45

Quote :
In Activeworlds, there was one programmer that had a great concept to his crafting system relying on factions to produce certain components. This made the players have to socialize and interact with other players in order to get their components to make bigger and better things. Like the elves were the faction that could chop and make components out of wood while the dwarves were the faction for things like iron or stone. You needed elements from both in order to make a sword or an ax :')

I had worked with a few developers helping out with a Ultima Online server that did almost exactly what you described. There were different instanced areas that could be under complete control of competing guilds. Each area had resources and loot specific to those areas and the guilds who controlled them controlled the market value of those items. It was a really cool concept!

Im still learning how to work with MV atm, so I wont be getting too crazy into developing anything complex right now Sad

But soon...
Back to top Go down
Tattiana Talahandra
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Tattiana Talahandra

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptySun 14 Apr - 8:49

you and me both. I'm a texture artist learning python and learning how to get MV set up. If i can get my world up to the point i can go fish and watch a sunset I'd be a happy camper. No matter what MMO i am in, i usually end up fishing somewhere
Back to top Go down
Louis Blackblood
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Louis Blackblood

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptySun 14 Apr - 8:55

you and me both. I'm a texture artist learning python and learning how to get MV set up. If i can get my world up to the point i can go fish and watch a sunset I'd be a happy camper. No matter what MMO i am in, i usually end up fishing somewhere

lol I hear ya. Im a C# scripter mostly, still have a lot to learn but I can find my way around most of the time Razz

Python and MySQL are both totally new to me, but I gotta start somewhere!

Im used to world building from within an Admin account logged into the client. That would be something awesome to see!
Back to top Go down
AthlonJedi
Administrator
Administrator
AthlonJedi

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptyMon 15 Apr - 2:13

what we need is a basic genaric crafting system that can be adapted to ANY genre instead of just wow clones. Almost 100% of the code in mars is all gears twards fanticy type games, there are those of us NOT making that type of game, so If you want to make a scifi game, you will end up rewriting ALOT of code.
Back to top Go down
Louis Blackblood
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Louis Blackblood

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptyMon 15 Apr - 3:31

AthlonJedi wrote:
what we need is a basic genaric crafting system that can be adapted to ANY genre instead of just wow clones. Almost 100% of the code in mars is all gears twards fanticy type games, there are those of us NOT making that type of game, so If you want to make a scifi game, you will end up rewriting ALOT of code.

I understand what your saying, but a generic crafting system is basically checking to see if you have a few set items in your inventory and then exchanging those items for a different one. Not to complicated to be honest. Plugging in your own items into the base crafting plugin that is available you can see that it works as long as it was put in right. The crafting plugin isnt just exclusive towards fantasy theme, that was just the idea that it was applied to.
Back to top Go down
Tattiana Talahandra
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Tattiana Talahandra

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptyTue 16 Apr - 11:29

Louis Blackblood wrote:

I understand what your saying, but a generic crafting system is basically checking to see if you have a few set items in your inventory and then exchanging those items for a different one. Not to complicated to be honest. Plugging in your own items into the base crafting plugin that is available you can see that it works as long as it was put in right. The crafting plugin isnt just exclusive towards fantasy theme, that was just the idea that it was applied to.

I'm with you there. The crafting system I've seen working was very generic and would be good for pluging into the different genres. The reason why many used the fantasy rpg example was because the crafting in that genre is very simple. If you are looking to make a scifi game think down to the basics first:

1. To create a flux capacitor what components would I need?
2. of these components, can they be broken into smaller pieces?

for what I am trying to code in python, I am making a base inventory component/piece list first......then out of all these items I am going to see what larger things my players would create with these... ex. wood + ax = board stick + iron ingot = ax
Back to top Go down
Louis Blackblood
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Louis Blackblood

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptyTue 16 Apr - 12:10

Quote :
I'm with you there. The crafting system I've seen working was very generic and would be good for pluging into the different genres. The reason why many used the fantasy rpg example was because the crafting in that genre is very simple. If you are looking to make a scifi game think down to the basics first:

1. To create a flux capacitor what components would I need?
2. of these components, can they be broken into smaller pieces?

for what I am trying to code in python, I am making a base inventory component/piece list first......then out of all these items I am going to see what larger things my players would create with these... ex. wood + ax = board stick + iron ingot = ax

Yeah im putting the extensive and detailed formulas out for awhile. I want to at least build a small area where I can test everything I want to implement for the initial customization period.

Basically thinking you get a schematic for a rifle. Schematic calls for Barrel, reciever, stock, ect.

Those Items can be created from mining or chopping the materials. ex: using a mining laser/laser saw

Then using a schematic to create the items needed to build the rifle.

This idea can be expanded A LOT from just adding in different material types giving different modifiers for the end product. Just a thought Razz
Back to top Go down
Tattiana Talahandra
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Tattiana Talahandra

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptyTue 16 Apr - 12:15

Louis I like your thinking.

Keep it simple and expand it out later. If you start off too complex there is more chance for bugs and more change of frustration.
Back to top Go down
Louis Blackblood
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Louis Blackblood

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptyTue 16 Apr - 12:29

Louis I like your thinking.

Keep it simple and expand it out later. If you start off too complex there is more chance for bugs and more change of frustration.

Exactly, I remember when I was helping a friend put in a custom OWL system (Ore, Wood, Leather), of course it wasnt plug n' play. It took MONTHS of going through every script and merging/re merging scripts to the point where we just scrapped it and started from scratch.

The point? Always start off small, there is sooo much room for error that the smallest mistake will be enough to give you a headache for a day at least Razz

I have so many idea's, but only so much experience when working with MV, soon it will all come to life
Back to top Go down
Tattiana Talahandra
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Tattiana Talahandra

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptyTue 16 Apr - 13:37

I'll try to help with ideas as soon as I can get my MV up and running.... i havent exactly made it that far yet :')
Back to top Go down
tichfuie
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
tichfuie

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptyTue 16 Apr - 14:14

see what i am talking about?

it is a deal breaker trying to get the server up and running, i assure you most visitors try a couple of times and give up due of the issue facing here.

Back to top Go down
Tattiana Talahandra
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Tattiana Talahandra

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin EmptyTue 16 Apr - 14:27

tichfuie wrote:
see what i am talking about?

it is a deal breaker trying to get the server up and running, i assure you most visitors try a couple of times and give up due of the issue facing here.

People these days dont have alot of patience. I'm a bit hard headed and will try a few times but I feel really weird right now asking for you guys to help me bit by bit just for a server to get online. I wont commit money to a server until i can get it running on my home machines... I have been legal in several paid licenses for game engines and a few freebies.... the easiest by far was the installation and running of a client- server for Realmcrafter but the person behind that madness took the money and run...no updates in over 2 years it seems which most of its community is now calling it "abandonware"

Something I would hope we can work out as the kinks get fixed is a better installation launch of the client and server. Having several files to install that dont necessarily work together is what is holding up why i havent had mine running yet. I see on the forums here that alot of people have unique situations at startup.....it almost feels like a right of passage....an initiation to a special world if you can just get the dang thing installed and online .....I say this smiling guys cause with an engine that everyone is working on .....i am expecting this kind of thing. As an alpha and beta tester you come to expect hangups and probelms but yes......for those who are not good at this and who wish to join teh community but cant get past these parts is what is keeping new people from joining the fray.....

And yes... i wish i can provide more detailed solutions to help .... but if my opinion counts I would say that the installation package that works on all and not some needs some tweaking.... and auto installer may help but each component seems to have different updates and different versions that would make an auto installer not very effective unless you guys have a better thought on this.

ok ok Im rambling in a "crafting" thread.....sorry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Crafting plugin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crafting plugin   Crafting plugin Empty

Back to top Go down

Crafting plugin
Page 1 of 1