Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Community Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  The Wiki  Website  github Project  

New to all of this.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jstrat74
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
jstrat74

New to all of this. Empty
PostSubject: New to all of this.   New to all of this. EmptyMon 12 Mar - 19:15

I imagine I should post an introduction; since I've already started posting, away, in the other threads.

My name is Jeremy. I might as well be totally new to all of this. I've dabbled in 3D Studio Max so long ago it wasn't even called "Max". It was just 3D Studio with a release number. I haven't kept up with it either. I have the same anti-experience with coding as well. I dabbled in mostly web-based stuff so long ago, that most of it isn't used today.

I do have an artistic eye and a love for storytelling. I'm a word-nerd. Graphics programs don't feel totally alien to me, but I usually have to learn how to use them, from the ground up.

I guess I'm one of "those": the person who loves to play MMOs and maybe Blog about them and thought it'd be cool to make my own.

I went into this with little expectations and assuming it would mostly be un-fun work(which has made the experience more fun, so far).

I plan on learning all I can with the initial goal of making a super-tiny little zone(or area of land), complete with a quest or two and some graphics that I learn to make.

I'm currently starting with the graphical-side of things: mainly terrain generation. I've organized a bit and put together a loose outline so far. I'll be working on figuring out how I want my terrain to look and what tools I'll end up using, including a skybox or other ways to make the sky(if other ways exist). Then it's on to assets, which will take a very long time to learn and create. After that, I'll look into coding and actually baking this cake.

I think I've settled on L3DT as my terrain generator, but I still will fiddle with PnP, as it gives a lot more fine-tuning controls. My main concern I'm still dealing with is how to sharpen the terrain images and utilize up to eight imported, high-res textures to improve the look. I haven't tried importing a PnP or Earthsculptor map yet, so I don't know how much of the original will be retained. I'm also experimenting to see if rendering higher anti-aliased and hi-res alpha maps in L3DT actually make any difference when importing to Multiverse.

Anyway, this is an introduction not a diary. I'm trying to make a standard fantasy MMO with mechanics that I prefer that you either don't see anymore or never saw. I'm building the game around a crafting/economy core.

Hope to talk to everyone soon, as I make my way on this journey.
Back to top Go down
CobaltBlues
CobaltBlues

PostSubject: Re: New to all of this.   New to all of this. EmptyTue 13 Mar - 3:43

Welcome jstrat74,

I am personally highly interested in crafting and economic mmo games. I think there is great opportunity to do things not normally done in most combat focused mmos. I think a lot of people would like a rich world with a great and unique crafting system.

Shane C Fischer
scficher7
Back to top Go down
http://www.multiversemmo.com
jstrat74
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
jstrat74

PostSubject: Re: New to all of this.   New to all of this. EmptyTue 13 Mar - 8:42

scfischer7 wrote:
Welcome jstrat74,

I am personally highly interested in crafting and economic mmo games. I think there is great opportunity to do things not normally done in most combat focused mmos. I think a lot of people would like a rich world with a great and unique crafting system.

Shane C Fischer
scficher7

Hello Shane,
I can go ahead and tell you a bit more about 2 core objectives. Crafting as a renewable resource and location-based selling. Everything in the game will break down. Extenders can be toyed with and tested, but the core is that everything breaks, period. Weapons and armor will have 2 status numbers: Quality and Durability. Durability will behave like any other MMO today. You can repair it and when it goes down, it affects your attributes and power/defense against enemies. Quality cannot be reparied and slowly goes down, each time you repair durability. Once quality reaches zero, you better craft, buy or find someone to craft you a new one. There are many more variables and questions that arise, but I won't go into them, here.

The other core idea is having one universal auction house(similar to many of today's MMOs). You can buy/sell from many locations that will be spread out throughout all the zones and/or world, but you have to go to the location to pick up any item(s) you buy. With this, I hope to mimic(on a tiny scale) fluctuating prices between similar items.

I do plan on having many staples of today's MMOs. I actually like a lot of the potential in today's MMOs. I'd simply tweak what is already there(along with new ideas of my own). So, I would like to have a form of raiding/dungeons, different PvP(but strategic) and so on, like you find in many themepark MMOs. I also want to combine themeparks and sandbox MMOs. I think it's gotten a bit ridiculous how the industry has so drastically separated these two things. To me, it's like separating the peanut butter from the chocolate in a Reese's Cup.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to all of this.   New to all of this. Empty

Back to top Go down

New to all of this.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Water Cooler :: Introductions-
Jump to: