Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Community Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  The Wiki  Website  github Project  

How do I create a new world?

Go down 
+4
zoot686
Tristan
Delurin
wkwkwkwk1
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
wkwkwkwk1
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
wkwkwkwk1

How do I create a new world? Empty
PostSubject: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptyFri 6 Apr - 2:41

Please help! How do you create a new world with multiverse??? :/
Back to top Go down
Delurin
Head of Platform Development

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptyFri 6 Apr - 2:49

The easiest way is to just modify sampleworld or fantasy world.
Also what do you mean by world? Do you mean an instance? or a world file? or new Terrain? or server?
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptyFri 6 Apr - 8:20

I suspect you mean a world in general, through World Editor...

It is highly recommended to follow the Platform Tutorial, which is available on the Wiki.
Here's the link - http://www.multiversemmo.com/wiki/Platform_Tutorial_Getting_Started - I strongly suggest you go through that, as that is a very comprehensive introduction to the basics.
Back to top Go down
http://www.3dmodeller.info
wkwkwkwk1
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
wkwkwkwk1

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptyFri 6 Apr - 21:16

I don't understand a crap of that tutoreial! It's all chinese to me Question Question Question Question Question Question
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptyFri 6 Apr - 22:45

wkwkwkwk1 wrote:
I don't understand a crap of that tutoreial! It's all chinese to me Question Question Question Question Question Question

To be honest, the tutorial should be very easy to follow. You don't really need any experience in programming to begin with, if that's the problem.

What parts of the tutorial are you having problems with? Post your questions here, and we'll do what we can to help you through Smile
Back to top Go down
wkwkwkwk1
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
wkwkwkwk1

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptySat 7 Apr - 0:16

mainly cigwin part. I have it installed. now what?
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptySat 7 Apr - 1:00

Well, I personally don't see the need for Cygwin, but that's probably because I never use the command line anyway.

After installing Cygwin, the easiest way to proceed will be to extract the server files into a folder in your Multiverse directory (called mv_home throughout the tutorials - it contains things like your asset repository, config folders with the world files, logs and so on. It will make things easier if you keep everything in one directory, like I have).
The server files can be found here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/multiverse3d/files/server_20080623.zip/download
Then, just extract the contents of the 'multiverse' folder to where you want the platform files to reside (i.e. your new workspace).
The server files include things like the 'SampleWorld' map/world, and the 'Common' config files, (which I still don't quite understand the point on).

So, extract those server files wherever (I highly suggest putting everything in C:/multiverse/).

It should be straightforward from there. Everything you need to know to set up is in that Tutorial.
If you think the tutorial could be made a little easier to understand, let me know if you have any suggestions.
Back to top Go down
wkwkwkwk1
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
wkwkwkwk1

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptySat 7 Apr - 3:50

where's mv_home?
Hey, I don't have a C:/Multiverse. Is it normal?
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptySat 7 Apr - 4:08

mv_home is just a term used to describe where your workspace is. For example, my mv_home is located at C:/multiverse. It's where my config files, imported media, scripts, logs, binaries and other necessary Multiverse files are kept.

You actually need to create the c:/multiverse folder yourself. There is no automated setup, apart from the actual Client. You need to do the extractions and folder creation yourself.

You don't have to have your workspace there but it makes it easier both for finding it, and for 'describing' file locations in command lines and scripts.
Back to top Go down
wkwkwkwk1
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
wkwkwkwk1

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptySat 7 Apr - 4:14

How do I run MySQL?
Also, what's my database username in sql?
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptySat 7 Apr - 4:34

Realistically, you don't need to use SQL at the moment. You'll need it much later on, when you've got big user databases and such.

But, if you'd like to get an overview of your SQL tables (which will basically be blank for now), you should download MySQL Workbench - you'll be able to create databases, tables, add entries, and stuff like that. I haven't really used it yet, though it's potential solution to a startup timeout problem the local server sometimes has.

If I remember correctly, your MySQL username and password will be defaulted to:
U/N - root
P/W - test (might even be blank, but it's unlikely)

(If someone else can verify that, I would be grateful)
Back to top Go down
wkwkwkwk1
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
wkwkwkwk1

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptySat 7 Apr - 4:45

http://www.multiversemmo.com/wiki/Platform_Tutorial_Getting_Started#Database_properties
it says you should change
I can't find JDK 5.0 download link :?
I found the link
I actually didn't!!!! Sorry for the confusion.
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptySat 7 Apr - 5:33

Your post didn't really make any sense...

But, here's the Java 6.0 SDK link

5.0 is actually outdated now - I'll change that entry at some point so that people don't get confused.
Back to top Go down
wkwkwkwk1
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
wkwkwkwk1

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptySat 7 Apr - 5:55

I'll explain: First, I didn't find. Then I thought I found it, but actually I hadn't :-)
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptySat 7 Apr - 6:16

Yes, but you gave a link to the database properties section, and said: says you have to change. That's it - I don't know what you were looking to change.
Then you said something about the JDK, then crossed it out. The JDK has nothing to do with the database change, FYI
Back to top Go down
wkwkwkwk1
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
wkwkwkwk1

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptySat 7 Apr - 6:32

1. I thought I had fount the link to JDK, but I hadn't.
2. It says you shoud change the username, database name and password, in the link I gave you
Back to top Go down
zoot686
Foundation Donor
zoot686

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptySat 7 Apr - 7:38

I think the JDK is called Java SE now, and the JDK is a part of the installation.

Back to top Go down
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptySat 7 Apr - 9:03

wkwkwkwk1 wrote:
2. It says you shoud change the username, database name and password, in the link I gave you

Go to the server files you extracted, open the 'bin' folder, and you'll find the multiverse.properties file there (.properties is actually the file extension).

On line 29 of the multiverse.properties file, you'll find the Database Settings section. There, you can change the username and password from root and test to whatever you like.
You'll then need to go into the MySQL Workbench user account administration, which can be found on the bottom right hand side of the front page, and change the root account's password to whatever you made it, in the properties file.
Back to top Go down
zoot686
Foundation Donor
zoot686

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptySat 7 Apr - 13:42

Wouldn't it make more sense for the sake of simplicity while figuring out the interface, to just simply follow the instructions and follow the default setup?
Back to top Go down
wkwkwkwk1
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
wkwkwkwk1

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptySat 7 Apr - 18:39

[strike]zoot686 wrote:
Wouldn't it make more sense for the sake of simplicity while figuring out the interface, to just simply follow the instructions and follow the default setup?[/strike]
oops didn't mean to quote u

I had downloaded the mysql community server, not the workbench. Thanks

However, the community server is installed in

multiverse.jdbcJarPath=c:\\mysql-connector-java-3.1.14\\mysql-connector-java-3.1.14-bin.jar

which is asked by the platform tutorial. In the community server, the directory is the above. In workbench, it turns into

C:\\mysql-workbench-gpl-5.2.38-src\\??????what's next?????

Should I use the one shown by the tutorial? if not, which should I use?

Last edited by wkwkwkwk1 on Sun 8 Apr - 22:40; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptySun 8 Apr - 3:42

zoot686 wrote:
Wouldn't it make more sense for the sake of simplicity while figuring out the interface, to just simply follow the instructions and follow the default setup?

Yes, it would be much much easier, but wk wants to do it this way. Why, I'm not sure.
I also don't get why it is so complicated to set up. When I set my development environment up, it took me about half an hour - that's because I don't know anything about SQL or Java.

Wk - thank you for your email, asking me to answer your question that you posted this morning. However, you've got to understand that we are all volunteers here, and have our own full-time jobs (or in my case, university). We do try and get onto the forums when we can, but there's no constant presence, I'm afraid.

As the famous Irish proverb says: "Patience is a virtue".

Anyway....

wkwkwkwk1 wrote:

multiverse.jdbcJarPath=c:\\mysql-connector-java-3.1.14\\mysql-connector-java-3.1.14-bin.jar

I would suggest using ^this one.
You don't really need to use the Workbench, to be honest. I got it mainly because I do other SQL database work for a few of my own websites.

Tristan
Back to top Go down
wkwkwkwk1
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
wkwkwkwk1

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptySun 8 Apr - 3:59

so, great!!!!
I have everything installed.
now, what do I need to do to make a new world? Make the next step of the tutorial?
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptySun 8 Apr - 4:18

wkwkwkwk1 wrote:
so, great!!!!
now, what do I need to do to make a new world? Make the next step of the tutorial?

cheers

Carry on with the tutorial, yes. It will take you through the basics of world creation and design, then help you test out your world.
If you run into any problems later, make sure you search the forum before asking for help. We've had a few questions about the initial tutorial, especially to do with the player spawn marker. (Hint: just call it 'spawn'!)

Good luck Smile
Back to top Go down
wkwkwkwk1
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
wkwkwkwk1

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptySun 8 Apr - 4:57

Tristan wrote:
wkwkwkwk1 wrote:
so, great!!!!

cheers

Carry on with the tutorial, yes. It will take you through the basics of world creation and design, then help you test out your world.
If you run into any problems later, make sure you search the forum before asking for help. We've had a few questions about the initial tutorial, especially to do with the player spawn marker. (Hint: just call it 'spawn'!)

Good luck Smile

Thanks, and I'd like to let you know I really appreciate the effort you have made to help me in this quest to install multiverse. I only have a final question. I can't find the account administration option :?
Back to top Go down
wkwkwkwk1
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
wkwkwkwk1

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? EmptySun 8 Apr - 7:40

www.multiversemmo.com/wiki/Platform_Tutorial_Getting_Started#Database_properties

how the f*ck do I do this?

MySQL Server 4.1 ???
MySQL Command Line Center ???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I create a new world?   How do I create a new world? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do I create a new world?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next