Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Community Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  The Wiki  Website  github Project  

Useful Links for Models and Textures

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

Useful Links for Models and Textures Empty
PostSubject: Useful Links for Models and Textures   Useful Links for Models and Textures EmptyMon 15 Aug - 23:21

Hello all,

The following is a non-exhaustive list of good websites to download models, textures and other modelling-related files.

Models
- Turbosquid - free and paid models
- 3DRT.com - some free, but mostly paid models.
(A general note for downloading models - make sure the polycount isn't too high, as you will no doubt experience problems using them in your game. High poly counts can slow everything down, and I've seen some old forum posts where clients have actually crashed when the client attempts to load them. Reducing the polycount can be a lengthy task, and you may be better off just modeling it from scratch. Also, make sure you check the licensing conditions on each model's page, as some won't allow them to be used for commercial purposes. Thanks to delurin for that tip!)
- MakeHuman is an open source human model creator, which allows you to take a base male or female model, then tweak settings such as facial features, expressions, ageing, body type, and things like that. At the moment, it's in its early stages, but it is still an incredibly useful tool for churning out a few character models.

Textures
- CGTextures - my personal favourite. A huge selection of free textures, all excellent quality. You can sign up for a free account that gives you a download limit of 15MB per day, but for some reason the limit never seems to work, so pretty much unlimited downloads!

Got any more you'd like to suggest? Just reply with the name, link and a description, and I'll add it in.

Last edited by Tristan on Tue 25 Oct - 0:44; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.3dmodeller.info
Delurin
Head of Platform Development

PostSubject: Re: Useful Links for Models and Textures   Useful Links for Models and Textures EmptyWed 17 Aug - 3:04

If you are downloading models make sure that the poly count is not through the roof we found it takes a lot of effort to reduce the polygon count on someone elses model
and generally is easier to completely rebuild it.

And I agree with CGTextures being awesome
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

PostSubject: Re: Useful Links for Models and Textures   Useful Links for Models and Textures EmptyWed 17 Aug - 3:37

A very good point.
I've added that to the post Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.3dmodeller.info
Felix Kütt
Felix Kütt

PostSubject: Re: Useful Links for Models and Textures   Useful Links for Models and Textures EmptyMon 26 Dec - 21:32

I hope you don't mind me posting a link to software in here.

For decimation, there's a free tool named MeshLab that includes a myriad of remeshing/decimation algorithms,
and eat3d has a great free video introducing/showing one of said algorithms,
alas the version they show is somewhat old and the UI has changed a tiny bit,
so you will have to look under a different menu to find it, but it's easy to figure out, so here are the links:

http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/
http://eat3d.com/free/meshlab
Back to top Go down
Kaine
Kaine

PostSubject: Re: Useful Links for Models and Textures   Useful Links for Models and Textures EmptyMon 2 Jan - 5:12

Hello Multiverse Community,

While at one time I would have been interested in using and developing Multiverse myself, that time has passed Sad

However I still have an intense interest in the modelling side of MMO's and hope it is alright if I recommend Filter Forge.

It's a (relatively) cheap seamless texture generator with thousands and thousands of ready to go texture templates.

Note: You do NOT need Photoshop, if you have Photoshop it simply adds itself to the filters drop down. It is standalone.

I am not seven days old yet so you will have to rely on google.

Happy New Year,

Kaine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Useful Links for Models and Textures   Useful Links for Models and Textures Empty

Back to top Go down

Useful Links for Models and Textures
Page 1 of 1