Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Community Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  The Wiki  Website  github Project  

Question about engine

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
elitter
elitter

Question about engine Empty
PostSubject: Question about engine   Question about engine EmptySat 16 Feb - 4:53

Hello,

I am new to this style of gaming, but what brought me to this is. i have been making muds since early 90's i just got to about a half way point on my newest one we were making in LP and have decided that maybe we should go beyond it and lets trying to move in the 2013 and get out of the text based type games, so one i dont have a lot of programing experince, as making muds ive used one for all of these yrs and its own language, but i have plenty of time on my hands to learn, so here i am i have read through the wiki over last couple of hours and willing to give it a shot.
a little about my game which is called Dawn of Demise which pretty much is a Apocalpse style game, i have all the maps and basic quests, npcs,char all written down, or into spreadsheet, now i want to put it into a game.

So is the community active? i was looking at another software before this one and found no one was around and most post were a yr or more old so i would like to find a active community which it seems to be and a noob friendly community lol..

Please let me know

Regards
E
Back to top Go down
Delurin
Head of Platform Development

PostSubject: Re: Question about engine   Question about engine EmptySat 16 Feb - 8:03

The forum is active we are generally friendly but the engine is not the easiest to use.. it generally requires knowing some programming (it is actually written in a bunch of different languages) but if you are willing to learn it is an incredibly powerful engine and completely open source so you can do whatever you want with it.
Back to top Go down
elitter
elitter

PostSubject: Re: Question about engine   Question about engine EmptySat 16 Feb - 8:14

Delurin wrote:
The forum is active we are generally friendly but the engine is not the easiest to use.. it generally requires knowing some programming (it is actually written in a bunch of different languages) but if you are willing to learn it is an incredibly powerful engine and completely open source so you can do whatever you want with it.

thank you for the swift response! i think i will take a stab at it.. and i guess try to learn some programming languages as described in your wiki,thank you for your time

e
Back to top Go down
tichfuie
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
tichfuie

PostSubject: Re: Question about engine   Question about engine EmptySat 16 Feb - 20:40

yup, the engine looks promising, specially for opensource since you can enhance it all you want .

I just started about a week ago and getting to have the hang of it quick.

I am not that fan of open source software that much, since most of my past experiences with open source software were terrible support, almost to none, the software usually is all scattered and very hard to get it to work
at first try since noone cares about it, you have to be very experienced in the language which was written so you can put it all together and make it work..
like I said, open source software pretty much will not be a step by step one click setup most of time, you will have lots of issues at brguining to get an app to work. and mostly patience.

My experience wit Multiverse open source has not beeh that bad, the wiki is very extensive and infformative.

the files may not work at first try as they shoud, but with a little bit of fit=rum reading you can make it work after a few hair pulling, but it is all about patience and some programing knowledge specially, this engine's language, python, C# and java.

to me , it took me about a week to make the server to work on windows, linux was straight forward with a few tweaks , but minimals.

thanks to Delurin which helped me solve my server setup on windows issue.

This community is kinda idle, not as active as I would like to see. you will see 1 or 2 members around a day. at least that has been my experience this past week, but Delurin the project manager is here pretty much every day and his responses are very quick and wise.

One thing I am not fan off is the actual client itself, performance is a little bit laggy, even if you see an average fps of: ie: 50 to 60 fps,
the client still lags , at least my eyes feel the lag for some reason,feels like when you ride a car that has engine issues that push and releases, push and releases sort of speak, i mean not that bad or a show stopper, but you can feel some lag all the sudden if you pay close attention.

at least that has been my experience. But other than that the engine looks ok,
still testing it, but so far so good.

I wish there were another client renderer for it, or a generic api that can be use with ie: unity client, or Torque3d, cuz the client looks dated in comparison of today's engines.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Reality and Opensource   Question about engine EmptySun 17 Feb - 14:46

Multiverse is powerful, and challenging to use, but you do have ownership since it's MIT.

The client isn't the most advanced but Delurin is working on it with the newest Axiom.

Sticking in Torque3D is more work than I have resources (or talent) for but I would like to note
that the MMO Workshop backend is in Python with a patch for the Torque3D client (not yet working tho).
So we would have at least a guide for integrating the python parts of Multiverse.
http://www.mmoworkshop.com/trac/mom/wiki/Downloads

Still a lot to do to integrate the Multiverse .mvw world format into Torque, terrain, the messaging
and a ton of other stuff.

MMO's are developed in a time frame measured in years so if you look at it that way
there is plenty of time to fix and add stuff. The art path probably won't change much so
you can start on your asset dev now Very Happy

Cheers Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about engine   Question about engine Empty

Back to top Go down

Question about engine
Page 1 of 1