Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Community Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  The Wiki  Website  github Project  

Free Human Modelling Program

Go down 
+2
DaddyM0E
Tristan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

Free Human Modelling Program Empty
PostSubject: Free Human Modelling Program   Free Human Modelling Program EmptyMon 24 Oct - 6:30

Hello all,

I was flicking around the internet for useful development tools, and came across this beauty:

MakeHuman is an open source human model creator, which allows you to take a base male or female model, then tweak settings such as facial features, expressions, ageing, body type, and things like that. At the moment, it's in its early stages, but it is still an incredibly useful tool for churning out a few character models.

EDIT: Most importantly, the software exports a ready-rigged and textured model in COLLADA .dae - isn't that great!

In the future, they will be adding things like clothing, different ethnicities (at the moment they only have Caucasian), toon shaders, rabdomly generated characters, and stuff like that.

I've had a play around with it, and it's great so far. There's no licensing on the models (of course), and interestingly enough, the actual software is LGPL, which means that in theory, we could use their source code, and create our own Multiverse character modeller. The FAQ regarding the source code can be found here.

I'd be interested to know what everyone thinks about having our very own character creation tool.

Tristan
Back to top Go down
http://www.3dmodeller.info
DaddyM0E
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Free Human Modelling Program   Free Human Modelling Program EmptySat 29 Oct - 8:05

Having a character creation tool is important to a lot of folks so that they can customize their avatar to be who they want to look like in our fantasy worlds or just look like something you'd expect for their class/race/skill-set.. Nothing wrong with it. I like the idea of having many colorful toons on a server. It makes for a more lively world and besides, who's ever seen a half-giant brutish nightmare-of-an-ogres-son sneaking around as a thief instead of brutalizing his/her next prey? jocolor
Back to top Go down
Felix Kütt
Felix Kütt

PostSubject: Re: Free Human Modelling Program   Free Human Modelling Program EmptySun 18 Dec - 13:03

Makehuman's a very interesting and a promising project, but I have to admit it's not something I'd use in production just yet. I usually check on their blog every couple of months just to keep myself up on the progress though. Smile

Alternatively the new genesis mesh generator/engine in the new Daz Studio 4* is excellent from what little I've had the chance to test/use it.

* daz3d.com/i/products/daz_studio
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

PostSubject: Re: Free Human Modelling Program   Free Human Modelling Program EmptySat 24 Dec - 22:53

The only problem with Daz Studio is the high poly count, and I'm not sure about the compatibility with Multiverse.
However, I could be wrong, and things might have changed in the past year or so!
Back to top Go down
http://www.3dmodeller.info
Felix Kütt
Felix Kütt

PostSubject: Re: Free Human Modelling Program   Free Human Modelling Program EmptyMon 26 Dec - 1:13

-- nvm --

EDIT3: So I discovered, thankfully not trough experience, that you need a rather expensive 'Developer License' to use Daz meshes, doesn't include other models bought trough their marketplace.
Back to top Go down
zoot686
Foundation Donor
zoot686

PostSubject: Re: Free Human Modelling Program   Free Human Modelling Program EmptyThu 15 Mar - 12:21

Yeah, and you might want to check out the poly count of the makehuman models too, as they're up in the 24K range.
Back to top Go down
AWM Mars
AWM Mars

PostSubject: Re: Free Human Modelling Program   Free Human Modelling Program EmptyThu 15 Mar - 19:29

Here is something that may prove useful OpenAvatar, whilst is looks like utopia, it may not grab the mainstream, it is without doubt, a great concept.

Apart from the gaming world, the future is that virtual realities, or Immersive Environments as I prefer to call them, will not be sink holes, but more like the web is today, you go in one place, say emails, than click a link to another location, etc etc. Scaling and asset interoperability/transferring is the key. Taking one of the biggest assets with you (the avatar) is the future, as this represents your identity. Centralising the avatar source and binding it to an identifiable account (probably an authenticated email address), allows for monetary/contractual transactions to take place, completing the circle. Food for thought.
Back to top Go down
Jarod Jennings
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Jarod Jennings

PostSubject: Re: Free Human Modelling Program   Free Human Modelling Program EmptySun 17 Aug - 9:03

hey Folks, Jarod here.

I use the makehuman software alongside blender and it works awesome. The makehuman can be configured to produce a variety of avatars that are of course humanoid. The standard Male & Female in addition to "she-male" or simply transgender. The poly count can be increased or decreased using blender's "smoothing" tools and another nice feature is that makehuman can export to blender using a nice additional feature called ""RIGIFY" allowing you to create new fully rigged character models in just minutes versus the old school method that can sometimes take considerably longer.

The makehuman software also has a morph kit for genitals if you need your models to be anatomically correct.

useful links:

http://www.blender.org/
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Rigging/Rigify
http://cgcookie.com/blender/2013/04/23/quick-rigging-with-the-rigify-addon/
http://www.makehuman.org/

I hope these are useful. Enjoy!
Jarod
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Free Human Modelling Program   Free Human Modelling Program Empty

Back to top Go down

Free Human Modelling Program
Page 1 of 1