Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Community Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  The Wiki  Website  github Project  

Multiverse Setup Guide

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
d1dave
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
d1dave

Multiverse Setup Guide Empty
PostSubject: Multiverse Setup Guide   Multiverse Setup Guide EmptyThu 1 May - 6:05

I am working on a user guide to eventually include a full walkthrough of installing the servers, and creating your own world from scratch with as much as can reasonably be packed into it, and hosting it for friends, family, testers, etc.  I have completed the first draft of all of the server setup portion covering everything you need to get sampleworld running complete with world, master, and web server setup procedures on Ubuntu Linux.  It is written at a very basic level.  My seven year old was able to follow the instructions with no Linux knowledge so someone experienced should be able to just skim it to make sure to get everything configured properly.  I wanted to go ahead and throw what I have out there so anyone wanting to try out Multiverse could use it especially if they were new to Linux.  

For the experienced users, please let me know if something looks wrong or incomplete so I can fix it.  When I first started taking a look at Multiverse, the guides, tutorials, wiki, etc. were all over the place on how to set this up so I wanted to create something for others to use without having to jump around and try to fill in the missing pieces on their own.  I hope to go back and better explain some of the Linux commands and why certain things are the way they are.

All contructive criticism welcome.  Link below to PDF of guide.

Multiverse User Guide
Back to top Go down
myrnin
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
myrnin

PostSubject: Re: Multiverse Setup Guide   Multiverse Setup Guide EmptyFri 2 May - 23:01

Well done d1dave Smile

Thank you for the Guide

Yours

Myrnin
Back to top Go down
d1dave
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
d1dave

PostSubject: Re: Multiverse Setup Guide   Multiverse Setup Guide EmptySat 3 May - 3:13

There is alot of room for improvement but that guide was exactly step for step how I got my world up and running and hopefully I didn't omit anything important. To be honest, I was just so glad to get it completed and posted that I haven't actually proofread it yet. As I was putting it all together, I saw several little things I could have done or explained better. Everything was run on a single VMware virtual server on a laptop with 2GB for host OS and Ubuntu so the Ubuntu only got 1GB RAM and the host OS (win7) got the other 1GB. I have 8GB ordered for that laptop and I am going to use my own guide and split everything into two virtual servers with one handling the web stuff, update server, and master server and the other just running the world server. That will be my personal development setup for the building a world portion of the guide and i will make notes as i go for improvement to the server setup portions and upload the edits once I have them done. I also want to read through all the tips and best practice ideas in the other guides and the wiki and incorporate as much of that as possible too.

Also, I saw where you posted you were making fixes to the Fantasy World demo and I assumed it was just in the multiversecomplete download but I only see sampleworld in the sampleasset file. Where do you get Fantasy World, or am I just missing it somewhere? I wanted to add it to the guide before moving on to creating a world from scratch.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
myrnin
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
myrnin

PostSubject: Re: Multiverse Setup Guide   Multiverse Setup Guide EmptyMon 5 May - 19:28

d1dave wrote:
There is alot of room for improvement but that guide was exactly step for step how I got my world up and running and hopefully I didn't omit anything important.  To be honest, I was just so glad to get it completed and posted that I haven't actually proofread it yet. As I was putting it all together, I saw several little things I could have done or explained better.  Everything was run on a single VMware virtual server on a laptop with 2GB for host OS and Ubuntu so the Ubuntu only got 1GB RAM and the host OS (win7) got the other 1GB.  I have 8GB ordered for that laptop and I am going to use my own guide and split everything into two virtual servers with one handling the web stuff, update server, and master server and the other just running the world server.  That will be my personal development setup for the building a world portion of the guide and i will make notes as i go for improvement to the server setup portions and upload the edits once I have them done.  I also want to read through all the tips and best practice ideas in the other guides and the wiki and incorporate as much of that as possible too.

Also, I saw where you posted you were making fixes to the Fantasy World demo and I assumed it was just in the multiversecomplete download but I only see sampleworld in the sampleasset file.  Where do you get Fantasy World, or am I just missing it somewhere?  I wanted to add it to the guide before moving on to creating a world from scratch.

Thank you.

hi after i finaly got it to run aka fanstay world , it was awaste of time , too many bits out dated, but every thing that is in the sampleworld is basicly every thing multiverse Inc had aka fanstay world , soical world etc plus the sample owrld code is much more up to date. thats why the wiki is out dated.

cant wait to see how you hadle 2 servers runing stuff, im litrey at this moment running 2 projects (1 multiverse and 1 unity open source mmo egnine) + plus dealing with RL at the same time.

hopefully with the update incomming to multiverse il be able to do more.

yours

Myrnin

Back to top Go down
AthlonJedi
Administrator
Administrator
AthlonJedi

PostSubject: Re: Multiverse Setup Guide   Multiverse Setup Guide EmptyThu 8 May - 6:41

This is why i need people to help with platform development instead of complaining about how old the platform is. I am ONE guy, I can only do so much at a time.

That said, the platform can be clustered so running more than one server is irrelevant. you can also have more than one server as in ( different games ) via Instancing.

in short no the platform is not graphically up to date, but I challenge anyone to find a platform that is open source that also has the networking and scalability Multiverse does. Big world and Hero can't even get close to our network efficiency Cool

Please don't take this as offensive, its simply fact and not ment as a rant.
Back to top Go down
d1dave
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
d1dave

PostSubject: Re: Multiverse Setup Guide   Multiverse Setup Guide EmptyFri 9 May - 3:07

AthlonJedi wrote:
This is why i need people to help with platform development instead of complaining about how old the platform is. I am ONE guy, I can only do so much at a time.

That said, the platform can be clustered so running more than one server is irrelevant. you can also have more than one server as in ( different games ) via Instancing.

in short no the platform is not graphically up to date, but I challenge anyone to find a platform that is open source that also has the networking and scalability Multiverse does. Big world and Hero can't even get close to our network efficiency Cool

Please don't take this as offensive, its simply fact and not ment as a rant.

I wasn't complaining about anything other than the documentation lacking in some details.  I appreciate anyone who takes on trying to bring the engine up to date.  The main things I thought it needed was updating on the java front which you have done or are still working on and a graphic engine update on the client and tools.  

Setting up a cluster for development and testing or even a world with a small population with a small group of people is overkill.  Clustering and whole instanced worlds is not something you need unless you are going full scale production of your world.  My personal preference would be to never instance an entire world anyway because I think it destroys the sense of community in games I have played which were like that.  Splitting the update and master server onto it's own machine makes perfect since in a development situation to keep a few people pulling updates at the same time from dragging down your world server.  Definately not irrelevant for small development teams or smaller projects.  For my guides, I will have three servers.  One acting as master server and update server, one world server, and one world server (test).  I would like to eventually have some advanced server setup procedures as well, but right now my focus is going to be on setting up servers, development environment, building a demo world where you can actually have some fun while also demonstrating many different functions you would expect to find in an mmorpg.  The wiki, as it exists now, has some great information but it is outdated and incomplete in some areas.  My plan with the guide is a complete walkthrough to building a small playable game with multiverse, occasionally referring to the wiki for additional information.
Back to top Go down
AthlonJedi
Administrator
Administrator
AthlonJedi

PostSubject: Re: Multiverse Setup Guide   Multiverse Setup Guide EmptyFri 9 May - 4:47

The Platform is setup in a way  that makes it possible to separate out the back end if hat is what you mean. IE: Web server and mysql on one machine, server on another machine and dns server on another which is pretty much industry standard, All you have to do is make sure DNS functions correctly and you can define which ip does what via DNS and your database settings, In fact I have my personal project running that way.

So it is relatively simple to implement.

Also I agree, I do not like Instanced or "sharded" games either, I am more a sandbox guy ( Eve online for example ) and the platform is capable of that out of the box, Testing and development doesn't need all that unless you are further customizing the network code and what not but there really isnt anything in the networking code that isn't optimized to the max already so no I wouldn't cluster a development server unless you made it a public testing server that matched your production world.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Multiverse Setup Guide   Multiverse Setup Guide Empty

Back to top Go down

Multiverse Setup Guide
Page 1 of 1