Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Community Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  The Wiki  Website  github Project  

How flexible is MV?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

How flexible is MV? Empty
PostSubject: How flexible is MV?   How flexible is MV? EmptyThu 4 Aug - 0:21

Hello all,

I've been taking a look at the Wiki, with the aim of starting to understand the programming elements of Multiverse.

I see that as a prerequisite, you should know how to code in Python. This is something that I intend to learn, and I've already found a couple of tutorials on it.

In fact, I'll add them to the forum, and may even add them to the Wiki if I get time.

So, my main question is: how flexible is Multiverse in terms of what it can do?

For example: can the camera be changed from 3rd Person to 1st Person or even allow a switch between 3rd Person and an RTS camera?

Another: Can you create a system whereby players can own property? Is the only limit how good you are with Python, or is the Multiverse engine restrictive at all?
Back to top Go down
http://www.3dmodeller.info
Delurin
Head of Platform Development

PostSubject: Re: How flexible is MV?   How flexible is MV? EmptyFri 5 Aug - 9:13

Currrently it is pretty flexible note that client side the python is actually IronPython (think C#/.net python) and server side it is actually jython (java python)
Somethings you can do in python arent doable in Ironpython but as a trade off you can use all of .net just make sure that you have the right version I believe mv packages 2.0 or something in although the tools require higher

I know I have done a lot with camera controls forcing an unmoving camera setting the distance from the player, detaching the camera to show a scene so that is all possible

I know that we created an apartment like system where each player has an apartment that they can put furniture into and move around.
A lot of it is how good you are at python/java
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

PostSubject: Re: How flexible is MV?   How flexible is MV? EmptySun 7 Aug - 6:25

Thanks for the info delurin.

Your point about IronPython and Jython made me realise something - how do you actually go about programming new sections of code? To me, the structure of the MV files seems a little complicated.
Just to clarify, is all of the necassary code for changing the client-side of things (i.e. models, interactions, combat etc) contained in the mv_home/config/sampleworld folder? And are the actual 3D models contained in each 'level' WORLDASSETSfile? (e.g. sampleworld.worldassets) If they are, I assume that they're packaged into these files and compressed?

If so, that does make things a lot easier, but I just wanted to be sure before I went head on into the wrong section of my hard drive!

Also, is there a particular recommended code editor? I've seen IronPython's own one, for use with Visual Studio, but are there any others that would be equally good (if not better)? I'm just weighing up my options here study
Back to top Go down
http://www.3dmodeller.info
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How flexible is MV?   How flexible is MV? Empty

Back to top Go down

How flexible is MV?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Development :: Getting Started-
Jump to: