Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Community Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  The Wiki  Website  github Project  

The Real World as a Base Game World

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Edward

The Real World as a Base Game World Empty
PostSubject: The Real World as a Base Game World   The Real World as a Base Game World EmptyWed 9 May - 7:17

Is anyone working on the real world as a base game world -- that is, a base setting that can be customized as needed?
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

PostSubject: Re: The Real World as a Base Game World   The Real World as a Base Game World EmptyWed 9 May - 10:46

I assume you mean a project set on Planet Earth, with all the same geography, nations and cities? (That's what I see Real World as, anyway)

If so, then I sort of am... Not modern, but one set in the times of the Roman Republic/Empire (for any historians, the Classical Antiquity era).

The idea is to accurately reproduce Ancient Europe, and basically let the players (the Roman Army) retake it all, and then maintain and defend the Empire of as long as possible.
There will be a number of historical events, such as the Slave Revolt (currently being depicted in the Starz TV series 'Spartacus'), the seige of Alesia in Gaul, the Jewish Rebellion, and so on. The game-play will start just after the Marian Reforms in 107 BC (an important point in Roman history), and then go on for however long the Empire lasts! The enemies of Rome will be controlled by Game Moderator-type players, and they will do what they to make the defence of the Empire nice and hard for the players.

So in answer to your question, sort of.
Back to top Go down
http://www.3dmodeller.info
Edward

PostSubject: Re: The Real World as a Base Game World   The Real World as a Base Game World EmptyWed 9 May - 11:08

Tristan wrote:
I assume you mean a project set on Planet Earth, with all the same geography, nations and cities? (That's what I see Real World as, anyway)

Essentially. Earth, any time period, past, present, or future. I would include mythological settings (set on Earth, but mythology is real).

From perusing the forums, it appears that there are several groups using the real world. Has there been any discussion of sharing the workload on the common elements? Even given differences in time periods, I would think a great deal would be redundant.

If there is such a project, or if you might be interested in starting one, I would be interested in participating. I'm not a programmer or artist, but I'm learning Python and XML, and have experience writing documentation.

Quote :
If so, then I sort of am... Not modern, but one set in the times of the Roman Republic/Empire (for any historians, the Classical Antiquity era).

The idea is to accurately reproduce Ancient Europe, and basically let the players (the Roman Army) retake it all, and then maintain and defend the Empire of as long as possible.
There will be a number of historical events, such as the Slave Revolt (currently being depicted in the Starz TV series 'Spartacus'), the seige of Alesia in Gaul, the Jewish Rebellion, and so on. The game-play will start just after the Marian Reforms in 107 BC (an important point in Roman history), and then go on for however long the Empire lasts! The enemies of Rome will be controlled by Game Moderator-type players, and they will do what they to make the defence of the Empire nice and hard for the players.

That sounds fascinating. Does your project have a website?
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

PostSubject: Re: The Real World as a Base Game World   The Real World as a Base Game World EmptyWed 9 May - 12:05

Edward wrote:

Essentially. Earth, any time period, past, present, or future. I would include mythological settings (set on Earth, but mythology is real).

From perusing the forums, it appears that there are several groups using the real world. Has there been any discussion of sharing the workload on the common elements? Even given differences in time periods, I would think a great deal would be redundant.

If there is such a project, or if you might be interested in starting one, I would be interested in participating. I'm not a programmer or artist, but I'm learning Python and XML, and have experience writing documentation.

So far, there hasn't been any discussion regarding collaboration, as people have been keeping rather quiet about their own projects!
Once I get some concept images done, some screenshots of the work I've done so far, and a good introduction, I do intend to post it in the WIP section of the forum.
A few years ago, I started a project based on the Cold War in Europe, but then I realised that it would be unrealistic, considering the simple threat of nuclear weapons should any hostilities begin. Wouldn't have been a very long running game, methinks!

I am personally recreating a map of Europe for use as terrain in my own project, so if you are in need of such resources, I'd be happy to share them with you. I'm currently making one massive map in L3DT, which is proving to be a strain on my somewhat old laptop!

If you're interested in helping out with it at all, I won't say no! Though at the moment, I'm concentrating on the modelling side of things so I have something to show off before I start posting on the various Hobby recruitment sites.

Edward wrote:

That sounds fascinating. Does your project have a website?

Not a completed one, no. As soon as I replied to your thread earlier, I realised that I should throw something together on the free site creator, Weebly (which I've used for similar reasons in the past, it's a great place to temporarily set up shop before you go out and buy your own domain and hosting).
So, I'm working on the website as we speak. I'm going to type out my game Intro tonight, and take some screenshots of the models I've made so far.
I'll post it in it's own topic once it's all ready (maybe in a day or two)
Back to top Go down
http://www.3dmodeller.info
Edward

PostSubject: Re: The Real World as a Base Game World   The Real World as a Base Game World EmptyFri 11 May - 7:16

Tristan wrote:
A few years ago, I started a project based on the Cold War in Europe, but then I realised that it would be unrealistic, considering the simple threat of nuclear weapons should any hostilities begin. Wouldn't have been a very long running game, methinks!

Perhaps not, but it would be interesting while it lasted.

Quote :
I am personally recreating a map of Europe for use as terrain in my own project, so if you are in need of such resources, I'd be happy to share them with you.

Definitely. However, it would be even better if there were a central repository for such resources.

Quote :
I'm currently making one massive map in L3DT, which is proving to be a strain on my somewhat old laptop!

You might want to consider integration between Multiverse and a virtual globe such as World Wind or OssimPlanet as a long-term goal. I realize this would be very ambitious, but it would tremendously improve Multiverse's utility.

Quote :
If you're interested in helping out with it at all, I won't say no! Though at the moment, I'm concentrating on the modelling side of things so I have something to show off before I start posting on the various Hobby recruitment sites.

I can't help with modelling, but perhaps I could help in other ways.

Quote :
Not a completed one, no. As soon as I replied to your thread earlier, I realised that I should throw something together on the free site creator, Weebly (which I've used for similar reasons in the past, it's a great place to temporarily set up shop before you go out and buy your own domain and hosting).
So, I'm working on the website as we speak. I'm going to type out my game Intro tonight, and take some screenshots of the models I've made so far.
I'll post it in it's own topic once it's all ready (maybe in a day or two)

I'll look forward to reading about it.
Back to top Go down
benshelmars
benshelmars

PostSubject: The Real World   The Real World as a Base Game World EmptyMon 24 Sep - 19:44

The project I am working on is based on our world of today... Critical Collapse. Since I have just discovered "Multiverse" I still have a lot of work in front of me with just getting the program up and running (hardware issues at the moment), the assets I have at this time are just concepts which you can see at the site but all of it is open source and any thing that I or any member of the as of yet team produce will also be open source.

Tom
Back to top Go down
http://criticalcollapse.yolasite.com/

PostSubject: Critical Collapse   The Real World as a Base Game World EmptySun 30 Sep - 13:58

Sounds like a great name!

Like the look of the website.

I am still a Multiverse noob but I think you are approaching it with
the right attitude... "I still have a lot of work in front of me"

You'll get it running, if I can do it ( with Shane's help) you can. Very Happy

Quote :
You might want to consider integration between Multiverse and a virtual globe such as World Wind or OssimPlanet

Not exactly the same thing but just want to note LOTRO has integrated their world map on their website
(at least from within the client) with Google Maps. Kinda cool...

Cheers

Back to top Go down
benshelmars
benshelmars

PostSubject: Virtual globe   The Real World as a Base Game World EmptyTue 2 Oct - 18:28

Thanks Koron,

Quote :
You might want to consider integration between Multiverse and a virtual globe such as World Wind or OssimPlanet

The interesting thing for me during the research for this project is how one individual can lead me to a plethora of other concepts that hit the mark exactly. I am going to include World Wind and OssimPlanet on my links page (it is easy for me to loose info unless I "lock it down"), and even though I may not have the knowledge to implement these yet, someone may.

Great tip!
Back to top Go down
http://criticalcollapse.yolasite.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Real World as a Base Game World   The Real World as a Base Game World Empty

Back to top Go down

The Real World as a Base Game World
Page 1 of 1