Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Community Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  The Wiki  Website  github Project  

Sampleworld, Times Square non-functioning

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Edward Falzon
Edward Falzon

Sampleworld, Times Square non-functioning Empty
PostSubject: Sampleworld, Times Square non-functioning   Sampleworld, Times Square non-functioning EmptySat 20 Oct - 14:52

Hi folks,

I love this idea of an open-source MMO platform. But I'm having trouble just logging in to the sample worlds to see how things look.

For Sampleworld, I successfully log in and see what seems to be a character-selection screen, but no character appears. There are a handful of options on the right; clicking them doesn't show a character.

Sampleworld, Times Square non-functioning Multiv10

So I just hit [Play]. The game does seem to load, but this is what I get:

Sampleworld, Times Square non-functioning Multiv11

In the game, I can't move, click, turn or type. It's just frozen. I've tried waiting several minutes to see if content needs to be downloaded, but no joy.

For Times Square, it crashes the client with a script error.

In both cases, there was initially long download period, straight after logging in. that seemed to work fine.

I'd like to work in this environment, but really want to start by looking around. What am I doing wrong that's stopping the client from logging in properly?

Thanks,

Edward.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biblicalmorality.com

PostSubject: Welcome   Sampleworld, Times Square non-functioning EmptySun 21 Oct - 9:21

Welcome to Multiverse!

Hate to sound like "typical" tech support but have you installed the tools and the sample assets?
Assuming you've checked the wiki http://www.multiversemmo.com/wiki/Platform_Tutorial_Getting_Started

When you tried the nyts demo did it connect at first when you typed guest/guest and patch?

I had problems with the servers before the Multiverse Complete all in one download but all is fine now Smile
https://multiverse.forumotion.co.uk/t220-server-startup-failed-solved

Also check the client logs to see whats going on, they really do help. Take a peek at Exception.log and if you can post using the <code> tags here.
My Exception.log on XP is at C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\Multiverse World Browser\Logs

Check this sticky by Tristan
https://multiverse.forumotion.co.uk/t7-log-file-locations

You'll get it running.

If I can get it running you can Very Happy

Cheers

Back to top Go down
Edward Falzon
Edward Falzon

PostSubject: Re: Sampleworld, Times Square non-functioning   Sampleworld, Times Square non-functioning EmptySun 21 Oct - 19:30

Hi Koron,

That's okay, I need typical tech-support help right now. :-)

Let's just focus on Sampleworld, rather than two problems.

Yes, I had installed all tools and sample assets. I also have run the model-viewer and specified my asset repository directory. In the model-viewer, I can load any model and watch the animations.

I found that the sampleworld assets are also in C:\Users\Edward Falzon\Documents\Multiverse World Browser\Worlds\sampleworld. This directory contains 1,264 files in 19 directories, totalling 191,332,621 bytes. Changing the name of this directory will prompt a new download of all assets upon login to Sample world.

Upon login, I get to the character-selection screen, where the creation gazebo and sky cylinder meshes appear correctly, as in the previous screen-shot. So the client seems to know where the assets are.

I have NOT yet set up the local server. I have assumed that because I'm trying to connect to the remotely hosted sample world, a localhost server would not be necessary. Is this correct?

In ...\Multiverse World Browser\Logs is only one file, "media_patcher.log," which is 0 bytes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Hmmm..   Sampleworld, Times Square non-functioning EmptyMon 22 Oct - 11:32

The only world you can connect to online right now is the nyts demo, afaik.
Sampleworld isn't hosted online.

You can run sampleworld locally but you have to run the servers. That's the learning curve I
tackled in my noob thread above Very Happy

How about the WorldEditor? Can you run it, load SampleWorld.mvw? Make a new world and try adding some assets
to it, you won't be able to run around in it in the Client until you run the servers.

The asset repository I have listed in the tools is the one where my Client is installed, not the one in Documents\Multiverse World Browser dir.
E:\Program Files\Multiverse Software Foundation\Multiverse Client\SampleAssets\sampleworld

You on win7? Search for Exception.log and MultiverseClient.log and see if you can locate them.
The lack of assets showing is probably explained in MultiverseClient.log. If you can post them with the code tags that would be great! Smile (warning MultiverseClient.log can get big )

I am on XP and my \Multiverse World Browser\Logs is below
(ignore the command prompt and the find_auro.bat, finderrors.bat)

Sampleworld, Times Square non-functioning Client10

What do you get when you run the client with Multiverseclient.exe --standalone

Mine is below

Sampleworld, Times Square non-functioning Standa10

I am not saying I'll understand the script error you get when you try the nyts demo but
if you can post it one of the team might. Smile

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Edward Falzon
Edward Falzon

PostSubject: Re: Sampleworld, Times Square non-functioning   Sampleworld, Times Square non-functioning EmptyMon 22 Oct - 13:49

Mate, I can see why you're called a "super contributor." :-) Lots for me to go over, so I'll get working on it now.

But I'll say one thing: If Sampleworld isn't being hosted, then how am I logging into anything at all? I'm not running a local server, but even if I were, that would come up as "localhost" in the client, no?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Master Server   Sampleworld, Times Square non-functioning EmptyMon 22 Oct - 22:55

thanks

They are running a Master Server for the nyts demo and afaik thats what you log into.

Yep it's localhost and when you set up your servers locally you'll need to mod and copy your world_settings.xml
to Multiverse World Browser\Config. Rename, mod and copy the world settings file as noted here:
http://www.multiversemmo.com/wiki/World_Settings_File_Reference#Working_offline

Btw, when you do get your servers running locally, without a master server, run the client with multiverseclient.exe --development --noupdate When you run it locally like this you do not get the log in page, you just go to the character select screen and then on to the .mvw world.

Haven't done the Master server yet. Lots of fun to have there Smile

There's a lot here and the wiki is huge. It took me two weeks (not typical) to get my servers running
then Shane helped with the windows batch file and everything else, while involving a lot of files, went
pretty smoothly. Very Happy

I use PSPad for messing with stuff because I can keep track of the various config, log, bat etc. files I'm working in and save it all as a project. Then I can just pick up where I left off, saves me time.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sampleworld, Times Square non-functioning   Sampleworld, Times Square non-functioning Empty

Back to top Go down

Sampleworld, Times Square non-functioning
Page 1 of 1