Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Community Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  The Wiki  Website  github Project  

A few questions.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mazirian
Mazirian

A few questions. Empty
PostSubject: A few questions.   A few questions. EmptyFri 8 Jun - 2:30

Now that I have read every post I can find on the state on the server and client, I still have a few questions that I am hoping someone can answer.

I would have checked out these things myself, but so far have not gotten the client to connect to a server yet.

- What is the current status on jumping?
Reading through the old forums and the new wiki I have failed to find an answer to this. I see that Battle Islands has jumping and here http://www.multiversemmo.com/wiki/Customizing_Key_Bindings I see that jump is mapped to space bar. But in the old forums I saw a few references to not being able to jump.

- Can you have mounts in a game? In the old forum I saw answers saying no and yes. But no links to proof.

- What is the reason for the 8 ground texture per zone limitation? Is this a limitation of the tools, client, both? I do not believe Ogre had/has this limitation.

- In the client interface portion of the wiki I saw a tutorial <here> on creating dynamic buttons. It seems after reading this, that all the options need to be put in a list ahead of time on the client machine. Is it not possible for the client to request data from the server to display? Is this a limitation of the Client or just the client scripting engine?

I'm sure after I get a server up and running I will have more questions.

I think its a great thing that the original developers decided to open source this project, up to this point the only other open source mmo engines were Ryzom and Uru Online. And while both of those are pretty robust on the server side they also have a lot of game specific code in them that makes building off of them much more difficult.

Keep up the good work making this source available to us. cheers
Back to top Go down
Delurin
Head of Platform Development

A few questions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions.   A few questions. EmptyFri 8 Jun - 6:05

There is no jumping programmed in... You can modify it to add jumping (It is easy to add a jumping animation that uses the same collision as walking that distance but hard to modify the collision engine to calculate whether or not you can jump on to something or over something - some games just use jump points and if you are on them you can jump to a specific spot)
If you want to work on collision based jumping I am sure there are others who would be interested and I probably have some notes somewhere on what it would take.

Same thing with mounts - I add mounts to my game but it uses the players physics/ movement to provide the collision handling and then just moves the mount accordingly not the best solution but I added it before I had access to the whole source code.

The 8 ground textures per zone is based on the Ogre AlphaSplatting cg file they did not add a way to switch the textures. It would be possible to make your own terrain switching or you could replace the AlphaSplatting with a version with more than 8 but it would not be implemented in the world editor (unless you also modify the world editor)

The Dynamic buttons are not limited by the client or server it was just a limit of that tutorial. you can dynamically add whole new buttons if you see fit - http://www.multiversemmo.com/wiki/Client_Scripting_API_-_ClientAPI.Interface CreateFrame allows you to locally create a new button or frame and even allows you to use an existing template.

It is pretty easy to send info from the server to the client so if you really wanted to you could template something on the server and send the info to the client to be displayed...I wouldnt recommend it due to the bandwidth but you easily could. I generally create templates on the client side and then fill them in/ replicate them with the data from the server.

Back to top Go down
Mazirian
Mazirian

A few questions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions.   A few questions. EmptyFri 8 Jun - 6:44

Thanks for the quick response.

So I guess there were plans to add jumping into the engine but they never got completed?

Quote :
Same thing with mounts - I add mounts to my game but it uses the players physics/ movement to provide the collision handling and then just moves the mount accordingly not the best solution but I added it before I had access to the whole source code.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this statement. I think I understand what you mean with the collisions handling since it appears MOBs can only have the capsule collision type. But what do you mean by moving the mount after? Do you just set it up like a follow function just with the mount positioned under etc. the character?

Looks like I need to get the server up and running so I can see some of this in action.
Back to top Go down
Delurin
Head of Platform Development

A few questions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions.   A few questions. EmptyFri 8 Jun - 7:28

Basically I just spawned a horse model and whenever the player moved it would move the horse as well and I put the player into a mounted animation loop so it looked like he was on top of it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A few questions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions.   A few questions. Empty

Back to top Go down

A few questions.
Page 1 of 1