Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Community Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  The Wiki  Website  github Project  

Animation and movement speed

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
tichfuie
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
tichfuie

Animation and movement speed Empty
PostSubject: Animation and movement speed   Animation and movement speed EmptySat 2 Mar - 3:58

Hi guys,
got a quick question:

Is there some existing code that determines or regulate the models animation and movement speed?

ie: the Brax model to speedup or decrease animation speed to match the actual movement in the ground?

or is the animation speed only what has been setup in the native 3d modeler program animation?

also the regulation for the movement speed variable for the player?
i saw some code in the client inputhandler.cs source:
protected float playerSpeed = 7.0f * Client.OneMeter; // 7 m/s

moding this will speedup or decrease the player movement speed,
Isnt some other server check for regulating speed for player from server side instead of the client?
to avoid speed hacks?
Back to top Go down
rotello
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
rotello

PostSubject: Re: Animation and movement speed   Animation and movement speed EmptyMon 4 Mar - 9:57

In-game hacking is a bane to MMOs and offline games. I have tested and played a lot of mmo titles and most of the time (if not always) encountered messages in my UID with some guy being kicked out due to hacking.

One way I could suggest modifying the source to include a secure http connection to CRC check all client files to verify and continue with the world login process. Smile

Back to top Go down
tichfuie
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
tichfuie

PostSubject: Re: Animation and movement speed   Animation and movement speed EmptyTue 5 Mar - 2:44

yup, indeed, speedhacking is very common,

but i noticed that MV is way exposed to that, since there is no check in the server side. at least havent found one yet,
so this makes it worse and 100% propense for hack, specially for a C# client
since C# can be decompiled very easy and therefore will be an easy target all the time.

the client files check is very intrusive, so I dont like that, but was thinking of some server side check, like sendind the key press to server and server determines movement for client, something like that.
Back to top Go down
rotello
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
rotello

PostSubject: Re: Animation and movement speed   Animation and movement speed EmptyTue 5 Mar - 14:16

I agree. I think that is a good idea and it looks somehow easy to add. I'm not into that part yet (server code) but I hope someone could share his/her thoughts for a solution. Smile

BTW, we are in a process of doing this (server side CRC check), I will let you know if we have something going.

In regards to intrusive, I think it is not all that if you are just protecting your users and their gaming experience. As long as you have some disclaimer and it covers just the game files and your application only.

I've played APB Reloaded and so far I have not seen any major hacking incident. Must be Punk Buster and it looks like one good anti-hacking service.

Some references here: http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/1528/list-of-anti-cheat-packages-for-mmos

Don't worry, we might have one anti-hacking tool soon brewing here with the help of MV team and community Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tichfuie
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
tichfuie

PostSubject: Re: Animation and movement speed   Animation and movement speed EmptyTue 5 Mar - 16:57

besides the speedhacking issue on the client, i also
noticed that the collisions are too handled via the client only on the physics files,
meaning client can walk thru walls if removing the physics files for that particular wall model.

hmmm, not good.

unless there is already a collision/physics server side that i am not aware of yet?.

still reading thru the wiki and exploring source, too much to digest.
Back to top Go down
rotello
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
rotello

PostSubject: Re: Animation and movement speed   Animation and movement speed EmptyTue 5 Mar - 19:09

tichfuie wrote:
still reading thru the wiki and exploring source, too much to digest.

..yes same here Cool
Back to top Go down
Delurin
Head of Platform Development

PostSubject: Re: Animation and movement speed   Animation and movement speed EmptyWed 6 Mar - 2:30

There is no collision/physics server side. I believe they were planning at one point to do both but they never got around to it. Implementing it would probably be a big undertaking but you could take a look at how the regions are handled which might give you a starting point.

For the speed hacking issue you could look at where the client updates its position with the server and check if the player has gone faster than they are supposed to between checks and if so move them back to where they were as well as logging that they might be a cheater.
Back to top Go down
tichfuie
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
tichfuie

PostSubject: Re: Animation and movement speed   Animation and movement speed EmptyWed 6 Mar - 6:18

Delurin wrote:
There is no collision/physics server side. I believe they were planning at one point to do both but they never got around to it. Implementing it would probably be a big undertaking but you could take a look at how the regions are handled which might give you a starting point.
Yikes, this really hurts, a big turnoff and may end up in game total disaster i may say,
player can just select and delete all physics files with no sweat at all and walk pass thru every object in world, this is not good at all.
will end up in disastrous gameplay for the game.
As you said, implementing collisions/physics system server side will be way undertaking, might as well rewrite the whole server from scratch, not sure about this but sounds like it.

and since there is no actual client packer/encrypter to protect assets, the client files are naked to evil, lol.

Delurin wrote:

For the speed hacking issue you could look at where the client updates its position with the server and check if the player has gone faster than they are supposed to between checks and if so move them back to where they were as well as logging that they might be a cheater.
ok, thanks, will look into that. not sure where that might be yet, but will eventually come across it sometime

I wonder how developers got around this giant horror issues when there was no source access for the past 7 years when multiverse.net was in business.
no wonder they went under and shut down the doors, since no real serious playable game could be done with this 3 major issues:
-speedhacking, since there is nothing server side to prevent this.
-no client assets encryption packer.
-no server side collision/physics

at least now with full source code availability one can at least do something about it, but the physics/collision may be a probably rewrite of the server imo. unless the server architecture will help make it simple.

Back to top Go down
Delurin
Head of Platform Development

PostSubject: Re: Animation and movement speed   Animation and movement speed EmptyWed 6 Mar - 7:15

You would not need to rewrite the server from scratch you would need to write the physics like the client and put in line where the players position is updated by the server. You would also need to load the physics files on the server and attach and keep track of where they are. It would be probably be a pain but I can guarantee it will be a lot easier to add it to the server than attempting to write a new server.

It would be nice to implement a packer/encrypter but I am not sure where to begin with one. Similarly it would be nice to encrypt the data between the server and client

Back to top Go down
tichfuie
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
tichfuie

PostSubject: Re: Animation and movement speed   Animation and movement speed EmptyFri 8 Mar - 2:19

Delurin wrote:
Similarly it would be nice to encrypt the data between the server and client

you mean the login startup deal? or the whole gameplay packet transmission from client to server and vise?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Animation and movement speed   Animation and movement speed Empty

Back to top Go down

Animation and movement speed
Page 1 of 1