Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Community Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  The Wiki  Website  github Project  

Logging in locally on same machine as Server

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DaddyM0E
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie

Logging in locally on same machine as Server Empty
PostSubject: Logging in locally on same machine as Server   Logging in locally on same machine as Server EmptySat 22 Oct - 8:06

Do you have any idea what it's like to stare at that little black box on your screen that says "you can log in now" and realize that even though you ran the MultiverseClient.exe file with the variables "MultiverseClient.exe --development --world localhost" and the client *does* get brought up in localhost mode, I still have no idea what username or password I am supposed to use. As this is a local server not published into the Multiverse server farm, yet, would it not be using a local database for username and passwords? or is that still controlled by MV user database somehow?
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

PostSubject: Re: Logging in locally on same machine as Server   Logging in locally on same machine as Server EmptySat 22 Oct - 8:24

From what I understand, you shouldn't even need to log in...

As long as you are running it via localhost, you shouldn't need to go through the MV Platform login page.
If for some reason I am wrong, try logging in using the password you created to log into the Multiverse Website (the Developer Section).

If that fails, give us a rundown on what you're doing to test the world, and we'll try and pick it apart for you.

Tristan
Back to top Go down
http://www.3dmodeller.info
DaddyM0E
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Logging in locally on same machine as Server   Logging in locally on same machine as Server EmptySat 22 Oct - 13:34

Just as a quick check, I tried to log on using my developer name/pass as you suggested and it worked for a short bit trying to launch things then said it had encountered an error. So I came here to post the error specifics, ran it again, and now it works. Thanks for the suggestion.
I'll also have to assume that if I want anyone else NOT logging in from my computer to have access to the server they will have to go through and get a MV user/pass and I'll need to stop running it in local mode. Am I right so far?
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

PostSubject: Re: Logging in locally on same machine as Server   Logging in locally on same machine as Server EmptySat 22 Oct - 13:57

No worries, I'm glad it worked for you!

It's seems a unnecessary (from a developer's point of view) to need to connect to the MV server, if you just want to try out your own world.
I haven't looked at any development for a month or so, as I've been focussing on the Open Source project, but I don't remember having to log in through there. It should just open your MV world locally, without any need to connect to the main server.

I'll have a flick around at some point tomorrow, and see what I can find.

In the meantime, if anyone else here (like Delurin, hint hint) reads this and knows what I'm on about, let Daddy know!)
Back to top Go down
Delurin
Head of Platform Development

PostSubject: Re: Logging in locally on same machine as Server   Logging in locally on same machine as Server EmptyTue 25 Oct - 0:34

The way it is currently setup even in local mode you connect to the multiverse server to authenticate your username and password. If that is a problem I know that once when the mv authetication server went down I figured out how to access the world without connecting to the authentication server you need to specify in the command line:
Code:
MultiverseClient.exe" --development --noupdate --world_settings_file world_settings1.xml
then you need to create a special version of the world_settings.xml where you specify everything ( similar to what mv does with the authentication server) and put it in the multiverse world browser/config directory
Code:
<client_config>
  <loopback_world_response world_id="worldId (String)">
    <account id_number="some account number (long)"/>
    <server hostname="localhost" port="server port num (int)"/>
    <patcher_url href="url to your world patcher/world_patcher.html (URL)"/>
    <update_url href="url to your world repository (URL)"/>
  </loopback_world_response>
</client_config>

if you remove the --development and the --noupdate I believe that the client will still patch if you have a different patch file
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Administrator
Administrator
Tristan

PostSubject: Re: Logging in locally on same machine as Server   Logging in locally on same machine as Server EmptyTue 25 Oct - 0:42

That's some great info, thanks Delurin cheers

I'll definitely use that when I start developing again, as it can be a drag to have to connect to the server each time, especially when it's down!

When you get some time, could you possibly add that to the Wiki? It would be a good addition, especially when people want to know how to continue developing, even with the server down. study

Back to top Go down
DaddyM0E
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Logging in locally on same machine as Server   Logging in locally on same machine as Server EmptySat 29 Oct - 7:56

Awesome, thanks Delurin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Logging in locally on same machine as Server   Logging in locally on same machine as Server Empty

Back to top Go down

Logging in locally on same machine as Server
Page 1 of 1