Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Community Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  The Wiki  Website  github Project  

Can't connect to server from 'outside'

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
piranha9
piranha9

Can't connect to server from 'outside' Empty
PostSubject: Can't connect to server from 'outside'   Can't connect to server from 'outside' EmptyFri 21 Dec - 23:25

Hey folks,

First of all, let me thank you all for this great piece of software! I was searching the last weeks for an engine to do some gameplay prototyping, tried stuff like the UDK, Source, Panda etc and finally stumbled upon Multiverse which initially got me excited, althought it took me the whole weekend and an amazing amount of coffee and cigs to get the server and client running Wink

I already set up a master server, server and client with the sampleworld and I have no problems connecting to the server localy.
Yesterday I tried to reach the (master) server from outside my local network, and unfortunatly it does not work.
Connection to the master server seems to work, I can log in and the updater downloads the worlddata.
Next thing that comes up is the character selection screen, this works also as intendet. But as soon as i click on play, the client exits.
I checked the log files and found the problem pretty fast. The client uses the wrong IP address for connecting to the world, actually it uses
the localhost address of the server instead of the real ip.
I browsed through the config files, but I am out of ideas where i would change this.
The server name in the database has the correct ip address and i think i replaced all localhosts with the ip in the config files..

Any ideas why this is happening?

Here are the last lines of the client log:

Code:
INFO  [2012-12-21 11:29:43,281] ObjectNode          Detaching 1 objects
INFO  [2012-12-21 11:29:43,281] Client              Character:
INFO  [2012-12-21 11:29:43,281] Client                'displayContext' => 'human_male.meshhead_aShape-lib.0human_male.head_a_materialcloth_a_shirtShape-lib.0human_male.cloth_a_materialbodyShape-lib.0human_male.skin_materialcloth_a_pantsShape-lib.0human_male.cloth_a_materialcloth_a_bootsShape-lib.0human_male.cloth_a_material'
INFO  [2012-12-21 11:29:43,281] Client                'characterName' => 'Master'
INFO  [2012-12-21 11:29:43,281] Client                'characterId' => '5692'
INFO  [2012-12-21 11:29:43,281] Client              Selecting character with id: 5692
INFO  [2012-12-21 11:29:43,281] NetworkHelper        Wrote message to tcp world server
INFO  [2012-12-21 11:29:43,312] rldTcpMessageFactory WorldTcpMessageFactory got message type: CharacterSelectResponse
INFO  [2012-12-21 11:29:43,312] NetworkHelper        Read select response message from tcp world server
INFO  [2012-12-21 11:29:43,312] Network Information  Disconnecting from tcp world server
INFO  [2012-12-21 11:29:43,312] Network Information  Connecting to world proxy at Rakete:5050
INFO  [2012-12-21 11:29:43,312] Network Information  Connecting to rdp world server at Rakete:5050
WARN  [2012-12-21 11:29:45,562] Exception            Exception connecting to rdp world server Rakete:5050 : System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No such host is known
  at System.Net.Dns.GetAddrInfo(String name)
  at System.Net.Dns.InternalGetHostByName(String hostName, Boolean includeIPv6)
  at System.Net.Dns.GetHostEntry(String hostNameOrAddress)
  at Multiverse.Network.NetworkHelper.GetIPv4Address(String hostname)
  at Multiverse.Network.NetworkHelper.RdpWorldConnect(String hostname, Int32 port)
ERROR [2012-12-21 11:29:45,640] NetworkHelper        Failed to connect to rdp world server at Rakete:5050
INFO  [2012-12-21 11:29:45,640] Network Information  Connecting to world proxy at Rakete:5050
INFO  [2012-12-21 11:29:45,640] Network Information  Connecting to rdp world server at Rakete:5050
WARN  [2012-12-21 11:29:47,890] Exception            Exception connecting to rdp world server Rakete:5050 : System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No such host is known
  at System.Net.Dns.GetAddrInfo(String name)
  at System.Net.Dns.InternalGetHostByName(String hostName, Boolean includeIPv6)
  at System.Net.Dns.GetHostEntry(String hostNameOrAddress)
  at Multiverse.Network.NetworkHelper.GetIPv4Address(String hostname)
  at Multiverse.Network.NetworkHelper.RdpWorldConnect(String hostname, Int32 port)
ERROR [2012-12-21 11:29:47,890] NetworkHelper        Failed to connect to rdp world server at Rakete:5050
INFO  [2012-12-21 11:29:47,890] Client              World Connect Status: WorldConnectFailure
Back to top Go down
Delurin
Head of Platform Development

PostSubject: Re: Can't connect to server from 'outside'   Can't connect to server from 'outside' EmptySat 22 Dec - 1:45

This is a known problem. I have a solution but it is pretty complex I was planning on updating it over the break. Basically the proxy server ip address that you set in the config file is never referenced so changing it from localhost does nothing and obviously you cannot connect to the localhost from outside your network. There maybe a network engineering solution to the problem but I do not know it. There is a temporary solution that you can do: Each time you start the server if you update the Database and set the host_name in plugin_status to your ip address for the proxy server that will allow you to connect to it. Otherwise if you can wait a couple a days I should have the trunk updated with the change.
Back to top Go down
piranha9
piranha9

PostSubject: Re: Can't connect to server from 'outside'   Can't connect to server from 'outside' EmptySat 22 Dec - 2:18

Delurin wrote:
This is a known problem. I have a solution but it is pretty complex I was planning on updating it over the break. Basically the proxy server ip address that you set in the config file is never referenced so changing it from localhost does nothing and obviously you cannot connect to the localhost from outside your network. There maybe a network engineering solution to the problem but I do not know it. There is a temporary solution that you can do: Each time you start the server if you update the Database and set the host_name in plugin_status to your ip address for the proxy server that will allow you to connect to it. Otherwise if you can wait a couple a days I should have the trunk updated with the change.

Thanks for your quick response! Surely I will wait for the next update. Primarily I am working on the local server, so this won't keep me from experimenting. But I will also try your temporary solution.

And I am very happy that you guys are still working on the project and fixing things, keep up the good work Smile
Back to top Go down
rotello
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
rotello

PostSubject: Re: Can't connect to server from 'outside'   Can't connect to server from 'outside' EmptySat 22 Dec - 13:04

Hi piranha9, Delurin

We had the same problem before and got it solved by updating the host file for proper name to IP conversion.

For remote clients setup, add the server machine name and IP address to your server's hosts file (location for Windows, /Windows/System32/drivers/etc, /etc/hosts for Linux)

Example:

XXX.XXX.XX.XXX Rakete

Where the Xs part is your server's IP address then <space> and followed by the server's machine name.

@piranha9
We were getting the same errors you are having (remote client exiting out after clicking 'Play' and a log file error similarity). Once I got this added, it works instantly with remote client or outside connection Smile

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Delurin
Head of Platform Development

PostSubject: Re: Can't connect to server from 'outside'   Can't connect to server from 'outside' EmptySat 22 Dec - 13:27

Thanks I had a feeling there was a way to do that but I am not overly familiar with that type of networking. I will still plan on updating since it will allow the different parts of the server to be on different machines on a lan
Back to top Go down
rotello
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
rotello

PostSubject: Re: Can't connect to server from 'outside'   Can't connect to server from 'outside' EmptySat 22 Dec - 19:23

This is great Delurin, thank you for the updates Very Happy
Back to top Go down
piranha9
piranha9

PostSubject: Re: Can't connect to server from 'outside'   Can't connect to server from 'outside' EmptySun 23 Dec - 23:49

rotello wrote:
Hi piranha9, Delurin

We had the same problem before and got it solved by updating the host file for proper name to IP conversion.

For remote clients setup, add the server machine name and IP address to your server's hosts file (location for Windows, /Windows/System32/drivers/etc, /etc/hosts for Linux)

Example:

XXX.XXX.XX.XXX Rakete

Where the Xs part is your server's IP address then <space> and followed by the server's machine name.

@piranha9
We were getting the same errors you are having (remote client exiting out after clicking 'Play' and a log file error similarity). Once I got this added, it works instantly with remote client or outside connection Smile

Hope this helps.

Thanks Rotello, I will try that too!

For the meantime, Delurins temporary solution works just fine, although it gave me an extra lesson on how to edit a sql table without primary keys Smile
I got it automated now, just add the following to your startup batch:

mysql.exe multiverse --e="UPDATE plugin_status SET host_name='<your_ip>'" --user=<db_user> --password=<db_password>

Cheers and Merry Christmas Wink

edit: seems you have to wait for the "DONE INITIALIZING..." message before changing the DB, so better put a sleep command in front of it.

Back to top Go down
rotello
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
rotello

PostSubject: Re: Can't connect to server from 'outside'   Can't connect to server from 'outside' EmptyMon 24 Dec - 10:18

Awesome, Merry Christmas santa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can't connect to server from 'outside'   Can't connect to server from 'outside' Empty

Back to top Go down

Can't connect to server from 'outside'
Page 1 of 1