Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Community Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  The Wiki  Website  github Project  

How about a system that accully works?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
AthlonJedi
Administrator
Administrator
AthlonJedi

How about a system that accully works? Empty
PostSubject: How about a system that accully works?   How about a system that accully works? EmptyTue 16 Apr - 4:41

How about dropping the idiotic windows xp support and updating the system to run under an os like Server 2008? And also dropping the HEAVY dependance on JAVA of all things?
Back to top Go down
CobaltBlues
CobaltBlues

PostSubject: Re: How about a system that accully works?   How about a system that accully works? EmptyTue 16 Apr - 5:08

Sounds like great ideas. Do you have any experience that you can contribute to this endeavor?
Back to top Go down
http://www.multiversemmo.com
Louis Blackblood
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Louis Blackblood

PostSubject: Re: How about a system that accully works?   How about a system that accully works? EmptyTue 16 Apr - 5:13

AthlonJedi wrote:
How about dropping the idiotic windows xp support and updating the system to run under an os like Server 2008? And also dropping the HEAVY dependance on JAVA of all things?

Why drop Java? Im sure its there for a reason, and why would you want someone else to rewrite practically the entire layout? Sounds like more of a job then its worth.
Back to top Go down
CobaltBlues
CobaltBlues

PostSubject: Re: How about a system that accully works?   How about a system that accully works? EmptyTue 16 Apr - 5:59

The Java server is meant for multi-system compatibility. If you desire a Windows native server then by all means. Fork the source code and begin writing it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.multiversemmo.com
AthlonJedi
Administrator
Administrator
AthlonJedi

PostSubject: Re: How about a system that accully works?   How about a system that accully works? EmptyTue 16 Apr - 6:31

Well you cowboys have a nice time with your old , outdated, half-broken wannabe development system. As i have said in previous posts, the original Multiverse while a great idea, went belly up for a reason. And its glaringly obvious to any serious developer you guys are beating a dead horse with a broken stick.

Very few things have changed since version 1.2 and Axiom is way outdated. Why you guys keep messing around with windows xp is beyond me. For those people that are hobbyists though, ok, you could make an mmo that a few of your friends and yourself could play with multiverse, however, if you want to make something that will accully make money and keep subscribers, one of 2 things is going to have to happen. Either you guys update the system to todays industry standards, ( hell even basic standards would be better than the state this is in now ) and stop maintaining now 4 yr old code ( probably older ) , or, anyone serious about making an mmo realize its time to move on to say cryengine 3, hero cloud , or big world. because sadly enough as this sounds, multiverse isnt going to get you there and just installing and getting the server to run will shave 10 years off your life.

dont get me wrong, If i figure out what is causing the java issue with my install, I will forge ahead and try to contribute new code/ideas to the community, but I have been fighting with java every time i install multiverse and no one seems to know what i need to do to fix the issue. even after trying all the sugestions in my other posts.

So not saying im throwing in the towel just yet, but damn, I have only gotten multiverse to successfuly run once, back at version 1.2 so...my outlook on it isnt very hopeful.

Back to top Go down
Louis Blackblood
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Louis Blackblood

PostSubject: Re: How about a system that accully works?   How about a system that accully works? EmptyTue 16 Apr - 7:07

I dont understand why you would be complaining about it being developed in XP, not like A LOT of people still use it. Not to mention, Im running W7 Ultimate x64 and got the server running and logged in, not one error was spit in an logs. I will load up my home server with Server 2008 RC2 and see if I have any problems and let you know, but honestly putting down the development system whilst asking for help prolly wont get you anywhere fast as far as someone hopping up to give you a hand with your problem trying to get it to work. granted I had a hard time finding my way around and troubleshooting problems at first, but seriously. Try some of the fixes that are buried in this forum. Just search server and I almost guarantee that you will find an answe/fix that you might be looking for.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
AthlonJedi
Administrator
Administrator
AthlonJedi

PostSubject: Re: How about a system that accully works?   How about a system that accully works? EmptyTue 16 Apr - 7:15

I have been fooling with this since 2008 man lol you would think in all that time, someone would have found a way to fix the issue lol
Back to top Go down
tichfuie
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
tichfuie

PostSubject: Re: How about a system that accully works?   How about a system that accully works? EmptyTue 16 Apr - 7:23

I know how you feel Athlonjedi

i had the same issue getting the server started.

the server is not just tide up to winxp only.

it works with any OS that runs java that is the beauty of java, a truly universal multi platform.

the default svn repo will not work out of the box, i know that for fact.

here is what i figured so far and what worked for me:

- jdk 1.6x installed in my win7 64

- setup the paths to java in my windows environment path variables.

- download mv svn repo,

- downloaded and installed cygwin since this was the only way to run the server in windows by executing the multiverse.sh from cygwin command terminal.
the other .bat startup deals for windows did not work for me. so use the cygwin terminal witj .sh files

- for me i had the horrible nightmare "STARTUP FAILED -- didnt complete after 120"
https://multiverse.forumotion.co.uk/t374-startup-failed-didnt-complete-after-120-seconds-nightmare-solved
and posted my issue here and delurin helped me figure out, since the files need the mods posted by delurin in order to work,

and that was it for me, got the server to run on windows , centos etc...

and yes, there is lots of incomplete mv client and server code not working. but at least the sever part got worked out.

one of the reasons i try to stay away from open source software is that
most of the time, if not all the time, the software will not work out of the box, it never does since noone cares to create or update a working version for the community.

now, this is human nature, why would one fix something for nothing in return, unfortunately this philosophy is standard on human race most of time. offcourse there are exceptions. but do no expect someone to do the job for you, you just never get it.

now, MV code needs lots of work, and there is only 3 or 4 of us here that will be impossible to fix it, we need more contributors,

i tried to make a demo world to attract more devs to contribute and requested CobaltBlues to privide me access to vps that
Vanquish donated, and CobaltBlues say he will grant me access since he does not have time to setup a working demo, but
this chat was 2 weeks ago, so far no access to VPS has been provided by CobaltBlues, so there is nothing i can do here.

before that, rotello and I noticed the wiki needed attention, we reported that to CobaltBlues and he requested us to sign up as contributors so we can fix it ourselves, so we did, and working on the wiki now, but still waiting on the VPS access to make the demo world work. but 2 weeks? , i am starting to think he forgot about it. ohh well, he is striving for help but wont provide access to it. how are we suppose to be a community
like this.

anyways, so far what i got working now is mostly with the help of deluring and rotello. thank you guys.

we really need active devoted developers to run the foundation as most of the original founders come here every once every few months. so this is not good, maybe they need to pass on the stick to someone else to continue and keep the foundation alive.

just my .02

Last edited by tichfuie on Tue 16 Apr - 7:45; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AthlonJedi
Administrator
Administrator
AthlonJedi

PostSubject: Re: How about a system that accully works?   How about a system that accully works? EmptyTue 16 Apr - 7:38

well like I said, If i can get a server running to work with , I dont mind contributing my fixed parts , code re-writes/addtions and what have you, I really dont mind helping update things and what ever else i can do to help, I am installing cygwin now to see if i can get it to run under that. if so, we are gravy, most of what I said was a rant anyhow so, you know how that goes...
Back to top Go down
tichfuie
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
tichfuie

PostSubject: Re: How about a system that accully works?   How about a system that accully works? EmptyTue 16 Apr - 7:54

i know exactly what you mean, and this is why most visitors turn around and leave before they get to know the potential this has, is so damn hard to get started.

i just hope someone will grant me access to the SVN repo and VPS to update a working startup code and a nice working demo world to show off so more people come aboard and help grow the foundation.
Back to top Go down
Tattiana Talahandra
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Tattiana Talahandra

PostSubject: Re: How about a system that accully works?   How about a system that accully works? EmptyTue 16 Apr - 11:10

Forgive my brashness (chalk it up to being around other military people too long)

Address problems with a solution.

I see with further traffic you are listening to these folks about where they are coming from. They are doing the best they can with thier knowledge skills. Not all are proficient in Java. I can read it but cant create from scratch with it. If this is something you are good at then we need you here helping.

If any one here likes the MV concept.....contribute.
If you see a problem...... give a solution and contribute HOW or an idea of how we can get to the end goal of implementing said solution.

This place is ran by volunteers and fans who want to have all this continue. Things are outdated....we know that. Things arent working well yet.... hell I know that.

But unless you are paying these people to fix it.... please dont berate what they accomplished

They are trying
Back to top Go down
Louis Blackblood
Experienced Newbie
Experienced Newbie
Louis Blackblood

PostSubject: Re: How about a system that accully works?   How about a system that accully works? EmptyTue 16 Apr - 12:24

First off I would like to say sorry If I came off as rude earlier, kids woke me up 3 1/2 hours early this morning when I was up till 3 working with a friend on his UO project.
Just saying that you attract more bee's with honey Razz

Quote :
i know exactly what you mean, and this is why most visitors turn around and leave before they get to know the potential this has, is so damn hard to get started.

This is exactly why we need to figure out the easiest possible way to get everything set up with pictures and detailed explanations on how to do the initial setup. I have noticed that there is a lot of info on the wiki about how to do it, but there are too many variables. Say some one wants to set it up on a windows server for example, they might think that everything should work right out of the box with minor modifications to "X" file and "Y" file, when really they are going to need a little more attention.

What Im saying is, the wiki needs to be updated, but not just that. The start-multiverse.bat file should be fixed and put back into the main download. There should be a better walkthrough then what is currently there. I found more detailed info searching the forums to be honest. Thank you tichfuie for pointing me to your 120 second thread.

Quote :
i just hope someone will grant me access to the SVN repo and VPS to update a working startup code and a nice working demo world to show off so more people come aboard and help grow the foundation.

This...This is the pot of gold right here. We should honestly just lock this thread because this is exactly something that would help tremendously. With no sample world for newcomers to log into to see what you can actually do with it, whats the point in them staying? Couple that with poor documentation and a small community you have the recipe for people getting pissed that they cant get it working, and they leave shortly thereafter.

If this community is to grow in my honest opinion the above 2 items should be addressed, and soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How about a system that accully works?   How about a system that accully works? Empty

Back to top Go down

How about a system that accully works?
Page 1 of 1